bp Employee Reviews in Anchorage, AK

Many managed moves within the company. The work environment is very dependent on the team lead you are assigned to. There have been several rounds of layoffs in recent years. The laid off employees are compensated fairly.
Workdays were pretty long and hard requiring focused attention. We worked a 9day/80hour minimum per every 14 days. Workplace culture in this timeframe was ok.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Worked with a lot of smart and talented people. Learned a lot and made a lot of money. However, BP has annual lay offs and its just a matter of time before your out the door. A very small minority are able to stay till retirement from my experience. Forced moves to 3rd world countries or rotational positions in the middle of nowhere is also common. Working out of the BP tower was a great experience and I loved the work but never knowing when you were going to be laid off made life stressful. If I had a good job I not would leave it to work for BP (or any oil and gas company or their contractors) without a firm employment contract to ensure you get paid for at least 3 years with all clauses for any termination removed. The money seems good on paper but you may not be making it very long.
Pros
High pay and talented people
Cons
Annual lay offs and forced moves
I enjoyed my time with BP. I worked with great folks and liked the work atmosphere. Heavy on the bureaucracy, but expected due to the size and complexity of the business.
Pros
Excellent family first views
Cons
Disconnect between corporate views from London to how ops worked in Alaska
BP in general is a great place to work, compensation, work/life balance, and working environment are all great, and I've very much enjoyed my career here. my issues are with career development and advancement opportunities of which there are few. There is a clearly defined career path and unless you are willing and able to "put your time in" working in a remote developing world location it is very difficult to get promotions and advancement.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. A melting pot of people from all different places. Great place to work. Lots of possibility for transfer and exploration of different positions.
Company takes work life balance very seriously. Very accommodating to its workers. Assets in Alaska are world class. Work environment is very professional.
Pros
Living in Alaksa
Cons
Management edicts
the typical day consist of preventative maintenance on occasion you have to help other with there professions.Safety oriented with a reward program quaterly
I have succeeded because of my determination and hard work. I love helping people around me and I am a leader and I can me a learner as well. I take new information and apply it to my everyday routine. I hold my work as a top priority. I am willing to work hard in anything I do.
Pros
Determined, helpful, kind
Meeting intensive company. Heavy use of Excel. Emphasis on economics indicators IRR and NPV. Takes a long time to make decisions, as this company is very bureaucratic.
A challenging but rewarding place to work on the North Slope. Good support from management, and an excellent workplace culture. I enjoyed being able to add my experience to the Projects group.
Pros
Salary and accomodations
Cons
Long work days
Great company, and more importantly, great people. I liked the teams and ideation imbibed in the work culture. Many many friends were made at BP and more than that, great ideas were realized.
Pros
Fast paced work environment
Cons
They were not in Denver.
working in Prudhoe was the best thing that ever happen to me, I got to work with many different people from every part of the world, great learning experience.
Pros
breakfeast lunch and dinner served, beds made everyday
Cons
being away from family
Good place to work with benefits. Starting wages lag industry but catchup a few years later. pay is Not commensurate with advancement and also takes years to catchup.
Pros
overal pay and benefits
Cons
lag in pay with promotional moves
As business goes, its good when the company is making $ not so good when losing $. Be cautious in selecting your career path and especially your next boss. still a lot of poor managers.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Limited Opportunities
Great part-time office job for a college student. I cannot speak more highly to the community and culture here. I truly enjoy coming to work and everyone is inclusive.
Being a WSL is typically rotational work. I worked a schedule of 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. Typical work day is 12 to 14 hours per day. It's very challenging work, however it requires lots of travel and time away from home.
Pros
great pay and time off
Cons
requires at approximately 6 months away from home life, ever changing policies and procedures
Working on the north slope, you begin the day at 6am and end it at 6pm. Food is all free and provided - decent quality. Winter months are especially tricky if you have a hard time with extended periods without sunlight and cannot deal with cold. Similarly, there is a component in shift work where you spend half of each year away from family and friends (you sort of adopt a second family up here). The best part of the job is the people and time at home (for every 2 weeks up here, you get 2 weeks at home with no work), and the worst is the time away from home.
Pros
Free food, time off, great work/life balance, great benefits
Cons
all work or all play, not a lot of in between
Company is good to work for and treats you well. Management is tough to understand their direction and advancement is few and far between, with progression policies vague and not followed.
Supportive and encouraging management. Personal work goals were effectively communicated and the support to complete that work was provided. The most enjoyable part of the job was that all of my coworkers were willing and eager to help with my project. I felt like my project made a direct impact on the company and actually excited those around me.
Pros
Ample learning opportunities, supportive and caring coworkers, flex schedule (every other Friday off)
Cons
Only 2 weeks vacation time, must work 80 hours/bi-weekly
It was great at first but several changes took place that dramatically changed the wok culture and decreased enjoyment