Here to help
Coronavirus update

bp Employee Reviews in Whiting, IN

Whiting, IN33 reviews
BP was a great place to work, but it always felt like someone was looking over your shoulder. The people in my group were great. It seemed like all we did was work on instrument issues rather than projects.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
stressful
I Worked for BP for 25 years it was a good paying job .The down fall of BP is they do very much discrimante I had to retire from the spervisor i had runing my shift .I could not take it any more .This was the one in Whiting in
Pros
some good people to work with
Cons
Very bad foreman
I can see this company loves to discriminate older People from not getting hired at BP in Whiting Indiana , How could a 22 experienced professional not even go forward With applications , who ever the hiring manager is what Do you want a rocket scientist for a material handler job? I will never apply at BP again waste my time its Not first time I was not selected to meet there criteria very fancy words I will use my skills at a better company not kissing it up No thank you!!
Cons
Worked on emergency response procedures. Staff was friendly and helpful with updating training materials and procedures. Worked with employees to better understand job descriptions and duties.
Work as a team is a must. Safety is stressed at all times. Its important to communicate all that has gone on from one shift to another (Shift Handover).
Pros
Good Pay, Moral keeps the job exciting
Cons
Red Tape and Bureaucracy makes the job less motivating
BP was a good place to work. Jobs are good, management is good compensation is good vacations are good. Very competitive, if you work hard you are rewarded.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Shift work
Over the decades the environment changed, in some areas for the better. This refinery was geared towards being a major producer of fuels from a high sulfur feedstock. However, national political and Obama administration measures put hardship on this venture after the dollars investments were made. Among the workers it was known to be 'the best game in town' . The available and required work with its compensation during TAR and project times was strong.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Many jobs were tough during the winter. Dangerous gases as a natural byproduct of refining.
My typical day consists of monitoring equipment in an oil refinery. Must approach everything in a safe and cautious manner. I lead a team to help maintain and monitor various pieces of equipment. I enjoy the people I work with. BP affords my family the life I feel they deserve and I take gratitude in the fact that it is possible due to BP
BP did not allow me to become bored in any position. The company fosters moving to different positions/divisions, allowing to learn the company mission. BP kept me challanged.
Pros
interesting work challenges
Cons
work based on price of crude oil, mocondo well costs drove personnel layoffs
The compensation is very good in Whiting, but the workplace culture has much room for improvement. Operations is king and maintenance employees struggle for respect. The more valuable to the company you become, the more work you get. There are many who get by with minimal effort and make a career here. The safety culture is very strong.
Pros
Safe work environment, Compensation
Cons
Culture, ability to influence career path
BP provided a construction environment which required a quick adaptation to the fast pace and turn around of daily job assignments. In addition the focus would shift at times from week to week based on management direction.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Challenging
As a manager of the USW, the environment is hostile and unforgiving. Spend more time arguing with Union employees of what the expectations are rather than just doing their job.
B.P. was very strict with their safety rules. Before you could start work in the refinery you had 4 10 hour days of safety orientation and tests and on the 5th day you were still not allowed to work. You could only shadow a experienced worker there. This was a safe work environment with some of the most experienced safety officers I ever had the pleasure of working with.
Pros
Safe
Cons
Cold
I started here in 2015, however, within a years' time, the refinery manager, maintenance manager, and TAR department manager were all replaced. The current management seems to circumvent process and authority to slot unqualified and uneducated folks into roles which has made for a turbulent hostile work environment.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Unqualified uneducated management
Great compensation and benefits. Good management. Ability to attend classes to enhance job performance. Yearly bonuses. Increasing vacation time with number of years.
Pros
Benefit
Cons
Job secuity
ok place to work. Its a big corporations a lot of layers of management. Company seems to make changes every year to be more productive.
Relationship between management and Union is VERY strained after the recent strike. Almost all overtime has been taken away and those who do find a little bit of extra work are torn apart by the union and being told not to help the company. I'm sure things will calm down eventually but in my honest opinion I would consider other options before coming to work here.
Pros
compensation
Cons
a lot
The days were longer at the refinery utilizing a system called 9/80. Ten hour work days were backed up with every other Friday as a day off. What I learned was a greater understanding of the refining business both on the process and economic sides. Meetings were held with process engineers to determine needs of units. Transferred findings into value added services that suppliers could provide in addition to cost savings based on price/unit. Management I experience was always professional and willing to listing to opportunities that were well documented with risks identified along with savings or process improvement. Co-workers typically used three bids and a buy for contracts with little emphasis on value added (to reduce operating costs) from suppliers. When changing vendors convincing unit personnel there would be no impact would probably be the hardest part of the job. Exceeding objectives set was the most rewarding part of the job. Hardest part of the job was the commute of roughly 2.5 hours per day.
Pros
Opportunties for foreign travel.
Cons
Time away from family
Great place to work with great pay and benefits. Everyone respects each other and listens to ideas. We work as a team and keep each other out of harms way.
Great pay, long hours. You can work 40-100 hours per week. Noisy, dirty, work in all weather conditions. Great people to work with, but management needs to be readdressed.
Typical day at Bp was working with people as I walked jobs and worked on a plan to repair the equipment. I learned that are many different ways to go about doing certain things only to arrive at the same conclusion.After going over these methods and determining how to take parts from each I was able to derive an effective way that would work for most involved in the repair of the equipment. Management created more work processes on how information was shared between Operations, Maintenance and engineering, this is would sometimes make it difficult to get the needed information. It created a lot of moving parts in the process.The most enjoyable part of my job is working with people.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Gray areas in the company policy