bp Employee Reviews for Deputy Manager

This is a good company to work for with room for progression - able to attend training courses for development. However, expect to work unsocial hours.
Taken on as duty manager, promoted to deputy manager the day my 3 months training finished (they sacked the DM the same day). Store manager left after a few months and I was left to run a very busy store, and set up a new one (recruiting all staff and overseeing training), with little or no support....and on deputy managers salary. Days were long and hard, but enjoyable.
Pros
Colleagues, I had a brilliant team
Cons
Senior management, lack of support, poor pay for what was expected
Bonus, every day is different, free coffee, 50% lunch. Con, long hours, double shifts, under valued, under paid, area managers have no clue in reality
Pros
No day is the same
Cons
As above
They expect you to work for your money especially the managers. But even as Duty managers you will be expected to know the same stuff as the store manager. The only down side is the store manager will take credit for your work and if things go wrong then guess what that will be your fault, if you can handle this then BP is a great place to work they just need to improve on the store managers attitudes. Every day is different and you never know what to expect when you turn up for work each day. They also understand about the importance of a work life balance.
Pros
Discount
Huge expectations, low salary, people work like a dogs for £8.50 p/h that's ridiculous! Rules and procedures are crazy 3 people job must be done by one person (lack of staff)
Pros
£3 lunch
Cons
3 shifts
A typical day would be • Meet all store compliances and conducted according to BP code of conduct • Cash management • Inventory control • Manage a team of 17 staff members from different ethnics and countries • Train new recruits and build their confidence Learned so much about retail, oil and gas business and the management gave me opportunities to develop and promote. A multicultural workplace where you can enjoy working in every single day. Its the most enjoyable part of the job.
When I first started working for BP it was new and exciting.I met a lot of interesting customers and the staff was willing to assist whenever needed.They had one of the best training system I ever used in my entire years working in retail.The development growth was not too easy nor it was hard, you just had to focus and also willing to show that you had a I CARE / CAN DO attitude.
Pros
50% off lunch and 15% off your shopping.
Cons
24 hours call out.
This job destroys your mental health, Too much to do all the time Always short staffed Never switch off from the awful place Customers moaning about offers with m&s
Pros
Discounts on lunch
Cons
Long hours workload
Working in store was enjoyable and a very busy and fun filled place to work. Higher management made job difficult and relocated you whenever they felt like it, which made it difficult to stay
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at bp?
Very much the same tasks day in and out with little variation. Not enough team members to cover all of these tasks. Great teams with great attitudes. HO keep changing how processes work in store without looking at how this impacts stores.
In BP it really does look after you. You are safe and looked after on a health and well being respect. The work life balance however is difficult consecutively. 1 week it could be perfect but other times it can be very diffciult to see anyone other than the people on your shift.
Pros
discounts and annual bonus scheme
Cons
long hours, no appreciation a lot of the time, no steady work life balance.
I was recruited as a Deputy store manager. They did not given me proper training and demands quite a lots. The management bullied and harassed me all the time. My stress level was high at work place. The area manager Scott was so mean and love his own people. He was after his own bonus and promotion and did not care about the business.Store manager was sitting in office and smoking out side and having laugh. Once I have been enforced come to working during my high temperatures threating to thrown out of job, if i don,t come to work. I can advice to every one don,t work for this company please. There is no justice and fairness.
Pros
Cons
unsoicial hours
You will be expected to do a lot as a manager here. This job is very involved, not only will you be managing the store, you will also be stock filling, completing rotas, all the financial aspects of the store and everything in between
Pros
50% off at lunch
Cons
long hours, poor work social balence
As deputy store manager have responsibilty to to coach the staff to level where you can achieve your targets,and coaching is key thing in bp there is a lot of coach sessions to attend.
Pros
half price lunch or dinner
Cons
some time long hours
A variety of tasks to complete daily. The company sends management on a lot of courses so there are a lot of chances to learn and to progress. Pay is reviewed frequently and bonuses are paid. The stores are open 24/7 all year round so expect to work very unsociable hours and shift patterns are not set so they vary a lot.
If you like being customer focused this is the job for you from serving on the till to filling shelves and helping customers on the shop floor, this is a very customer focused job.
Pros
50% lunch discount
Cons
hours
A typical shift involves dealing with customers, stock taking, stock replenishment, managerial duties such as cashing up tills, ordering stock and managing a team. the most enjoyable part of the job is training new staff members
Pros
staff discount
Cons
unsociable long hours
A typical day here never happened everyday was different and i enjoyed the daily challenges.
Pros
50% staff discount, staff fuel cards, bonuses (performance related)
Cons
long hours, very little family life due to varied night and day shifts
BP Hillingdon is a busy and pressurized retail environment which means work has to be well planned in advance and very organised via rotas and work schedules.Legality and due diligence play a vital role in this environment as health and Safety must be adhered to especially by the management team which generally means a great degree of administration is involved. Due to the highly technical layout of stores electronic apparatus as well as forecourt equipment and highly volatile nature of fuels held in storage and sold (wet stock).All wet and dry stock has to be accounted for to allow for the greatest profit margins possible so staff must be trained to do this to allow targets to be met.The most enjoyable part of the job for me is definitively interacting with the customers , hearing what they have to say helps improve the way we work sometimes and the praise offered is always appreciated.
Pros
good pension and life insurance packages