Here to help: Coronavirus update
Updated: March 26 2020

BP Employee Reviews for Instrument Technician

Top down management
Our job in the Turbine Controls shop is a great job and we are very knowledgeable about our job positions and responsibilities.
Our group has designed, programmed and manufactured 73 turbine control panels and control systems in the past twenty five years all while maintaining and trouble shooting problems throughout those years.

We work very safely yet we keep up with all planned and unplanned work needs.

BP doesn't know how to run an oil field. I have worked for them 25 years,

The work is great. The pay is over the top.

Upper management is very inept at actually running an older oil field. They waste more money than they make the share holders.

This is common knowledge in the oil producing Majors.
Great company, great benefits, some inprovement needed
PROS- BP has top tier benefits that can really set you up for a comfortable retirement. Great 401k. Fantastic sick leave and still has a pension. I have been with them for 14 years and will be impacted by the sale of the Alaska divestment. As a mid career technician I would definitely consider working for them again if the opportunity presented itself. They really stepped up during natural disasters and helped all their affected employees.

CONS - BPs control of work system really stifled both productivity and maintenance. It may be really effective at some locations but did not work very well in a large oilfield like Alaska.
Pros
Pension, 401K, Vacation, Retirement
Cons
BPs corporate Control of Work
An industrial setting with needed maintenance on all skill fronts, requiring 365, 24/7 care. This job paid the bills.
Over the decades the environment changed, in some areas for the better. This refinery was geared towards being a major producer of fuels from a high sulfur feedstock. However, national political and Obama administration measures put hardship on this venture after the dollars investments were made. Among the workers it was known to be 'the best game in town' . The available and required work with its compensation during TAR and project times was strong.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Many jobs were tough during the winter. Dangerous gases as a natural byproduct of refining.
fun workplace
We are one of the largest foreign investors in Georgia, which is of great benefit to the country and its population with world class energy supply and fuel supply activities
Cons
Producti.ve, professional and fun environment
Busy in daily plant maintenance and operations work.

Instrumentation measurement and controls in oil and gas production and power generation.

New instrumentation computerized technology.

Best management ever.

Giving us as best benefit.

Paid 28 days vacation every 56 days of work onsite. Paid travel expenses.

Hardest part of the job is during shutdowns,and humid season.

Paid vacation oversees.
Pros
Best company benefits.
Cons
Hot humid weather.
Positive
Its great as it always challenging or something new to keep your minding thinking and ticking over. Always new work scope to tackle and a sense of achievement once you complete tasks.
Productive and fun workplaces
I am really enjoying to work in this company. I have started in this company as a trainee technician, successfully completed all the assessments. Currently i am working on one of the BP platforms.
Responsible for all permitry and all HSE adherence both as OTL and OIM
As the OTL on a 65 man platform my task was to make day to day engineering decisions to maintain stability and production of the platform
As the OIM of some 20 satellite platforms this required not only the OTL position but also the well-being of the crew ensuring that safe working practices were being adhered to

In these circumstances the crew were a family one were we all looked for each other

The hardest part was the decision making that had to be made regards weather as staying over on a satellite is not the best for the crew

Management gave free rein to operate these facilities as I saw fit as long as I stayed within the framework and guidance of the procedures
Pros
Comaradary
Cons
Probably the amount of flights per day which could run into 6
Overall a decent place to work
I have seen many changes incur at my facility since my employment began. I work for a site with many hardworking co-workers and being in capital projects bring a certain level of ever changing challenges that I enjoy tackling.
Pros
Excellent Pay
Cons
Poor Health CareOverall
In need of TLC
Due to ongoing nationalisation the workplace is no quite up to the standards of a few years ago.

Requires a stable base of experienced managers to oversee the project.
Pros
Cons
Accommodation
Eployment at BP/Amoco Texas City Texas
I had 36 years of employment at the Texas City Texas BP/Amoco oil refinery. I learned many things while I was ther. I seen things that other people may only read about. I now with a can do attiude you can get the job done. This was a place that I worked and, lived for a lot of years. Believe it or not I miss it and, the people I wored with and for.
benefits
Cons
had problems with some safety issues