CGI Group

CGI Group Employee Reviews for Consultant

This place is a decent place to work. Not too different than any other workplace. There are opportunities if you are interested. I enjoyed working there. There were some exceptional people, and some, not so much.
Pros
Casual
Cons
Sometimes unorganized
They claim to do alot for Minorities, but will lay you off or fire you the first second the economy tanks. Don't go to HR and tell them you environment is toxic/stressfull they will do nothing about it and try to get rid of you. Your just a number to this company, nothing more nothing less.
Pros
Compensation was decent.
Cons
Lackluster Management, Lackluster HR, Lacklust all areound vibe
Productive environment. Supportive management. Employees work as a team. Affinity group activities help to feel appreciated and supported. Benefits are great.
CGI provides contractors for the clients.The employment depend on ability of management to keep relationship with clients to keep projects going, that is not always happened. In my case communication with client was broken.
As this was my first job in Canada as I am an immigrant, it was a good experience. My manager was wonderful and very encouraging. Great supervisors too.
Pros
Good benefits and pay was higher than most call centers
Cons
Rude clients
- Overall organizational structure is very traditional and bureaucratic. - Management is more focused on earning Sales- Revenue than employee retention or well being. - There are frequent lay-offs every year. - Every year, they go for re-structure and it is stressful. - Mid Level management is not transparent in many cases. - Supervisors are not Team oriented, so it's really difficult to Trust management's approaches. - A good place to earn experience, but, Definitely Not a place for a long-term career, as there be the business modality is complex.
I came into this job excited and happy to start. Your introductory week will be great, simple, and you will feel welcomed. Once you formally join a project things will go downhill. They are heavily into favoritism, and management does not like to help you. They will not help you learn, and therefore won't assign you anything to help you learn, because they do not want you to do the work incorrectly.
Shareholders are valued over employees and customers. Technology is old and projects are not exciting. The management can not be trusted unless you keep your margin up.
It's a big company where you're a number. For any advancement you need two things, look like you have always running to do your job and timing. They don't really care about employees and you really need to negociate your salary because they will try to lowball you for about 10000$ a year.
It was a few years ago but had a controlling and authoritarian management and culture, poor communcations, you were responsible for finding your own work or put on jobs you didn't want to do
Pros
Cons
Working away from home almost constantly
Worst Management and no thought leadership. Working like worker class in Infra Group. Worst HR and have no Human in them. Dont even think of joining. Never.
Have some job security here, but the work is not engaging. I spend most days moving files from location to location and running scripts. Sometimes I can do some actual fun development work.
If you have good experience and skills don't loose your time. Very poor management. Very sad unhealthy employees. Work environment is so intense and stressful.
My typical day at work is well balanced. The team I work with is very supportive and easy to work with. The experience I've gotten at CGI has helped me tremendously.
You'll have a balanced work/life as a CGI employee. It's easy to talk to management and they're pretty much responsive when you need them to be. People are very nice and friendly and try their best to help new members. Decent benefit, lots of fun events and a lot of useful training courses.
Worked at client site thus, little exposure to CGI company culture. However, the company does have wealth of resources that are managing other project and able to recruit those subject matter experts to find solution. Good company and good technical support overall. Unfortunately, if you're working in remote site, and stuck with a manager that doesn't perform their duty, you'll only get to see them once a year during the yearly performance review which can be extremely biased as there was little to no interaction with my manager most of year and they are not aware of the projects and items of accomplishment outside of the operations.
Pros
Good exposure to different industries
Cons
Can get stuck with incompetent manager that are technically inept
1. Research salary market and negotiate your salary accordingly!!! I was lied to in my face by HR and management when I was told that my salary was competitive. I compared my salary with my coworkers who were working fewer hours, had less experience, doing same type of work, and worked with the company 3-4 years less than I did. I found a $15K - $20K difference between my salary and their salaries. If they say your salary is $50K when the market is $70K, you should ask for something closer to $70K. You would think that "Exceeding Expectations" or "Significantly Exceeding Expectations" rating will give you more than a typical 1-2% inflation pay bump. Nope! Be aggressive with pay raise. If you get an EE or SEE rating, but you only get a 1.5% or 2%, then speak up! They will position you into a situation where will be uncomfortable to speak out. Fight that with every fiber of your being and be aggressive. 2. Let's say there is no way that they will give you a competitive salary. If you know that you are being undervalued, then don't give them more than 40 hours a week of your time. Leave your laptop in the office if you can. If you're on-call tally up the hours you worked, send a spreadsheet to your manager, and leave early. Comp time is embarrassingly bad. Not only it's capped to a few days, but they give you the absolute bare minimum for working over 40 hours. 3. Plan your vacations in advance and completely turn off your laptop & phone during vacation. There is a toxic culture at CGI that pressures everyone to take fewer vacations and to bring work with them. Working on - more...
Cons
Below Average Pay, Subpar Benefits, Stressful, Bad Work Environment
While there is a lot of work to do, at the same time there isn't when you're a consultant. Lots of work is given to the more experienced members while the others are left sitting there.
Pros If you are on a good team it's great. Decent benefits if you take the time to maximize them Flexible schedule depends on contract Cons Some old mentality on tech projects from some people. Most of the work it's done by a few people smart enough to do it. Seems like they hire anyone sometimes Advice to Management Have some type of competency testing at hiring. Why keep people that derail projects? You will risk the project.
Pros
you are on a good team it's great.
Cons
Some old mentality on tech project
This company is a great one to start your career but is not for long term. Most people that I know that have worked here, are no longer employed there. Great colleagues on every project that I have been a part of. Management was only great on my very last project at the company. HR was horrendous.
CGI bought the company where I was (which I LOVED) and turned it into a NIGHTMARE Poor leadership, poor benefits, poor pay, horrible bonus. Honestly - it's the worst place I have ever worked
Pros
Cons
everything