Foreign & Commonwealth Office Employee Reviews

Exceptionally productive and excellent Team ethos
Assistant Defence Attaché & Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seoul, South KoreaDecember 1, 2016
Working with other government departments; working in the diplomatic and international arena; working with a dedicated and focused team, punching far above our limits. Able to utilise language skills. Great to experience a completely different culture.
Pros
Great way to begin the transition from Military to Civilian life.
Cons
Long hours and lack of work/life balance.
Nice people to work for
Decorator (Former Employee) –  LondonSeptember 16, 2016
I went to Moscow and Oslo to hang wallpaper. I had a great time and was very well looked after. The whole experience was great.
Pros
Nice places to work
Cons
away from home
Banking and Projects Officer (Former Employee) –  Milton KeynesJuly 27, 2016
I received a lot of in-house training, used a lot of new applications. Met lovely people from all backgrounds, assisted management with various internet banking projects and implemented it. It was a big success. We worked real hard and did take time to celebrate the completion too...
Pros
good team to work with
interesting job
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milton KeynesJune 13, 2016
interesting culture and job roles within company ,nice co workers .
good holiday entitlement .good advancement opportunity's
Current Position
Regional Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  EuropeMarch 6, 2016
I have responsiblity for the delivery of Hard and Soft services for the FCO within APAC and Europe. Management of stakeholder relationships and budget responsibility. Development and review of KPI's and SLA's. Audit management and completion, man management, contractor management of TFM contract.

Working in a good environment with good co-workers. The hardest part of my job is delivering messages to stakeholders which are not welcomed. The most enjoyable part is stakeholder relationships and variety of work.
Pros
Luncheon Vouchers, Bonus, Medical Cover and Pension
Cons
Lack of progression
Friendly & Multicultural environment
Language Tutor (Former Employee) –  LondonFebruary 25, 2016
I taught Lithuanian to British diplomats at the Diplomatic Service Language Centre of the FCO. The job was interesting and rewarding.
I was providing language training to ambassadors, political secretaries and other diplomats. I had to introduce Lithuanian culture, relevant political issues, e.g. integration into EU, NATO, economics, social aspects. I was also involved with cultural seminars and linguistic training sessions.
The management was great, we had to regularly be upraised and had to write reports ourselves. The line managers were always very helpful and friendly. My work colleagues were tutors from different countries of the world, it was a pleasure to work and socialise with them. The hardest part of the job was saying good-bye to my students. The most enjoyable and rewarding part was seeing the results.
Lots of changes in the past 7 years otherwise pretty good employer
Test Manager/Senior Software Tester (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, ENGJanuary 18, 2016
Flexible hours for permanent staff which is good, and, support for further education if permanent staff which is also good. Seems to be lots of contract staff about who have been there a very long time, but, quite a reasonable bunch to work with.
Pros
Variable work load. Can be interesting working with other Gov.Dept's.
Cons
Advancement can be slow.
Ok place to work
Program Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2016
Good place to start, but limited opportunity for growth. They don't take taxes out of your check so you end up in trouble with the IRS at the end of the year and end up in debt.
Great place to work if you wish to travel and enjoy liaising with people from different countries
L&D/HR Manager (Former Employee) –  LondonJune 21, 2015
My diplomatic service experience enables me to demonstrate confidentiality, sensitivity, initiative and sound judgement. My ability to be resilient, flexible and adaptable was largely developed whilst working at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London intertwined with 9 years overseas postings to embassies overseas. In addition, the rich experience and knowledge I gained through interaction with a diverse range of people and cultures both at home and overseas makes me a credible candidate.

I have good organisational, communication and interpersonal skills. I am a reliable team player, able to work under pressure, with minimum supervision and discretion. I also have fast/accurate IT skills thus able to deliver a rapid turnover of tasks. For example my work at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office would often involve preparation of urgent briefing for No10 or the Palace which would mean re-prioritising other tasks in order to produce work to a high quality at short notice and within tight deadlines.

My Masters degree and CIPD courses covered a diverse range of modules, for example, employee relations, employment law, performance and reward, effective management and leadership, learning and development, people resourcing and strategic HRM. In addition, I also undertook dissertations on managing workplace diversity and occupational stress. I am therefore aware of the importance of achieving employee engagement/commitment and its effect on recruitment/retention, motivation, organisational culture, employer branding and thus competitive advantage. However, I am willing
  more... to learn new skills to keep abreast with rapid changes in innovation and technology.  less
Pros
Travel. Flexible/Remote working.
Cons
Great place to work if you enjoy overseas travel and liaising with international organisations, external stakeholders, NGOs and OGDs
HR Learning and Development Manager (Former Employee) –  LondonMay 19, 2015
Varied fast paced roles both at home and overseas. Often working under pressure, to tight deadlines and with minimum supervision.
interesting
CLERK (Former Employee) –  hanslope parkMay 6, 2015
i found this position, very interesting. i would type letters, use the teleprinter, file, photo copy, run errands and alot more. This position was at hanslope park
The best work place ever
Information Security Accreditor (Former Employee) –  London, ENGMarch 20, 2015
They say no place like home, well, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office was just like home, colleagues who treat you like family and Management who respect and help you develop.

You get to go on two-three courses per year (all paid for), you get a safe and rewarding environment to work in and most of all you get to make a difference in peoples lives for the better.

If I weren't living in Canada, I would choose only to work for the FCO.

Hardest part of the Job was to resign!
Pros
Rewarding experience, self development and opportunities.
Cons
Low pay in London UK meant struggling to keep up with the day to date costs and living.
Vast amounts of resources and possibilities. Unfortunately, reactive instead of being proactive.
Freelance Mass Media Operator (Former Employee) –  London, ENGFebruary 18, 2015
Vast amounts of squandered resources both in terms of material and human resources. The organisation is more reactive than pro-active and priorities can change suddenly for no justifiable reasons. The interaction between branches of the organisation was often difficult or non-existing. Plenty of wasted opportunities in terms of taking advantage of offshore possibilities. Extremely bureaucratic and inefficient.
Challenging but rewarding
Desk Officer and Manager (Former Employee) –  LondonJanuary 18, 2015
Working on the Queen's visit to Ireland was fun. Working with the Irish Embassy in London was also a good laugh.
High quality of architects and engineers
Senior Project Manager, Client Delivery (Current Employee) –  London, ENGOctober 6, 2014
As a Government sector the transition to a commercial approach will take some time, at present the two design houses are not connected in there approach to intergration.
Pros
Working in London gave better rates of pay
Cons
Long days 12-13hrs
You learn a lot
Communications Manager (Current Employee) –  TunisSeptember 20, 2014
Working with IWPR you learn about research and various matters that affects people.
Challenging, multicultural working environment
Political, Communications & Scholarships Officer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, WCAugust 22, 2014
Small office with a different challenge, project, event, every day. Hardworking, highly engaged team with a multiplicity of skills.
Professional ITIL environment
IT Service Desk/Major Incident &Transition Manager (Current Employee) –  Milton KeynesMay 4, 2014
Highly professional ITIL environment - Global Company

High pressure, fast paced, multi disciplined requiring self motivation and excellent time management.
Pros
Learned many things that I can use in the future
Cons
Travelling from Birmingham to MK everyday
Diplomatic
Political Officer (Current Employee) –  KabulMarch 8, 2014
A company where diplomacy lives. It has the ability to solve problems like no other diplomatic network in the world.
Challenging Environment
Security Cleared IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hanslope Park, ENGFebruary 1, 2014
Exposure to a large cross section of people from all walks of life across the world.