Foreign & Commonwealth Office Employee Reviews

Challenging, multicultural working environment
Political, Communications & Scholarships Officer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, WCAugust 22, 2014
Small office with a different challenge, project, event, every day. Hardworking, highly engaged team with a multiplicity of skills.
Professional ITIL environment
IT Service Desk/Major Incident &Transition Manager (Current Employee) –  Milton KeynesMay 4, 2014
Highly professional ITIL environment - Global Company

High pressure, fast paced, multi disciplined requiring self motivation and excellent time management.
Pros
Learned many things that I can use in the future
Cons
Travelling from Birmingham to MK everyday
Diplomatic
Political Officer (Current Employee) –  KabulMarch 8, 2014
A company where diplomacy lives. It has the ability to solve problems like no other diplomatic network in the world.
Challenging Environment
Security Cleared IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hanslope Park, ENGFebruary 1, 2014
Exposure to a large cross section of people from all walks of life across the world.
Very Busy Government Building
Front House Supervisor (Current Employee) –  LondonJanuary 12, 2014
Very busy building with lots of different people, dfferent types of people and some confidential information
Fast Paced and Ever Changing
Member of Her Majesty's Diplomatic Service (Current Employee) –  London, ENGDecember 30, 2013
I have been a member of Her Majesty's Diplomatic Service since 1999. My current position is Diary Manager to the Head of the Diplomatic Service. The work is fast paced and ever changing due to the nature of the job - natural disasters, conflict and threats. On a daily basis I have to prioritise requests for time in the diary, juggle the many demands whilst making sure the best use of time is made. I have to make judgements on what to move and what to postpone should urgent requests come through. I have to balance time for meeting with time for preparing and also ensure work/life balance.

The most enjoyable part is the frustration of managing a complex diary...I love it and thrive on it.
Work at FCO
Reception Manager (Former Employee) –  LondonNovember 19, 2013
Any service provider management job at Foreign and Commonwealth Office is a mental torture specially if you are a coloured person.
Extremely busy but relaxed and fun workplace
JSDT 1/2nd Line Support Analyst (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Milton KeynesJuly 5, 2013
A typical day shift would comprise for myself, taking calls and dealing with emails from customers, running my team of 5 and reporting directly to the service desk manager and incident manager on ongoing issues, new or developing problems and general team management.

My team are some of the best people i have ever worked with which makes any job more enjoyable and we all work hard and play hard when we can!

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to resolve issues for the customers and leaving them with a smile!
Enjoyable work experience.
Electronics engineer (Former Employee) –  LondonApril 19, 2013
A good employer to work for. Training always available when required.
The FCO is a high profile site and comes with lots of opportunties
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Whitehall LondonNovember 30, 2012
Take over from day or night Supervisor. Read and sign Daily occurrence book. Log on Computer to read hand over information. Prepare attendace sheet,Manning compliance sheet, radio and duty log sheets. Assign Guard duties. Start post checks and external patrols. Start internal patrols. Start breaks on various post.Read emails.You always learn something new each day. Each day is deferent.I log and report each incident to management. We had a good team work when I am busy I delegate some of the work to my co-workers and they are always willing. When called upon to deal with unreasonable visitors by the receptionist. On remembrance Day when you get to see all the royal family.
Pros
free parking
Demanding, yet fun work environment.
Various (Former Employee) –  London, Kabul and HarareMay 12, 2012
The FCO is a very busy and high profile central government department with offices in over 180 locations worldwide. I worked predominantly in the operational areas of the department, providing logistical support to the core roles of diplomatic policy.
Pros
opportunities for overseas travel
Cons