Kuehne + Nagel
Coronavirus update
Information from Kuehne + Nagel:

Kuehne + Nagel Employee Reviews in Houston, TX

Houston, TX26 reviews
Great company with a very large global footprint. Many opportunities for learning and advancement. Despite the huge number of 3PL companies around the world, Kuehne + Nagel is ranked amongst the top 5. If you are looking for a company that is a true market leader in supply chain, offering interesting and challenging work opportunities all accross the world, Kuehne + Nagel is the place to be.
Is ok while temporary. But no guarantees in how long job assigment will last. Fun work atmosphere. Management is a bit unorganized. Telephone communication not provided in order to talk to parties involved with the job. Kind of difficult to keep-up close communications effectively with parties involve with your assigment.
I was in sales and was highly successful in sales for competing NVOCCSs for 10 years prior. I was so successful that when I offered to open-up a new office in Houston (I lived in California at the time), my VP jumped at the chance for me to move and paid for everything. Apparently, the negative issues largely only affected the Houston, Texas branch but wouldn't be surprised if other branches were affected. It was virtually impossible to sell as the sales person had no authority or power on pricing or selection of ocean/air carriers. Everything had to be routed through an operational manager who was basically the king or queen of their own fiefdom even to the extent that VP's had to persuade them to bring on or continue to manage a client. Houston's operational manager had very little to no sympathy when it came to approving business. It was a strictly by-the-numbers approach and K+N had an arrogance on which company they would accept largely because their operational team was stretched too thin. We as sales were often stuck between a rock and a hard place of being pressured to find business yet when we did manage to find a customer who accepted our higher ocean or air rates, that the margin and volume STILL wasn't high enough for them to get on the plane or ship. Additionally, K+N had overlapping systems from operations to track and trace ("KN Log-In") and often suffered glitches or coding breakdowns between them to the point that customers on a regular basis couldn't see where their bookings or freight were. Furthermore, potential customers I conversed or met with, already - more...
KN-USA and especially the Houston branch are miss managed. HR has concepts and ideas that would make this place a better environment but don’t understand the workload and stress that is placed on operations by improper sales arrangements and lack of proper staffing.
Temps have been working there 5 years +. Not a place you can count on having a career at.
Management is one sided and constantly stressed, taking frustration out on the employees. When something is said regarding this issue, the employee is terminated. Be careful working here.
Pros
Pay
I have so many examples that I can’t list them all here it’s a good company but the Houston office is just not up to par.

It is a great family feeling going to work there it’s just badly managed.
Pros
Cons
Had great healthcare
I only work at Kuehne & Nagel in a temporary position. Although it was a great place to work I had decided to move on in the industry to a better opportunity I was recruited for
While the company itself is a good one for the industry... pay was not always par for the long hours worked, training staff could have been better, you had to press for pay increases.
Management did not ever seem to be working towards the same goal with the same message. Generated a high stress level environment for employees and confusion within the work place.
My performance was dependent upon field sales promoting and selling a product that could not be used within the oil and gas industry. The rates were not competitive for customers who were willing to use it and when we were able to sell it, operations would often drop the ball on the shipment or the customer would complain about our invoicing not aligning with their initial quote. It was extremely challenging to achieve targets due to a product that sales reps did not trust and line management did not support.
Pros
Coworkers were friendly
Cons
VP of Sales talked bad about all sales reps
Great Company, great benefits, room to grow but only so much. As a freight forwarder there is only some many places you can go at a company but Kuehne-Nagel will help you get there
Pros
Managmemnt, benefits
Cons
Company offered very competitive salary based on experience and time in field, however there was not much room to advance within the company from where i started
It was a great company in the 90's when it was a smaller branch office. I was proud to be a part of a strong organization. We were industry leaders and innovators. The company attracted talented staff and great clients.
Pros
Strong company, buying power, market leader
Cons
Management started to lose focus
Kuehne & Nagel is a great starting point to get into the freight forwarding industry. There is room to grow, learn, and the support form other co-workers is the best I have seen at any job. If there is a performance issue they will give you more training so that you can succeed. They understand a educated employee will benefit them as well. Great management, great employees. My only complaint would be the long hours I worked.
Pros
free lunches every now and then.
Cons
Long Hours
Good company for your cargo needs. Just be careful when it comes to Project Cargo and especially Ocean freight changing to Air freight!
They've a really good Import Department.
Job was great back in 2013. Was fun,busy, and made your day go by so quick. Everyone was friendly and got along well with each other. Until new management came and ruined it.
Great company to work for. Management changes forced a new outlook that enforced some changes. It is unfortunate that my position was eliminated.

I take pride in knowing I did my job very well and that my trained and motivated employees are easily rolled under another existing manager.
Pros
Encouraged breaks
Cons
Team Spirit
Work is fast paced and can be stressful but in Freight Forwarding it's what you expect. You either love it or hate it. I love it.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful
Worked for the Shipping Department. Pulled orders and loaded trucks in a timely manner. Management is easy going they are not constantly on your back as long as you are doing what you are supposed to do.
Work load was some times quite heavy and management did not always provide assistance or guidance in work distribution. Department management during this period was somewhat unstable.
Pros
Healthcare beneftis
Cons
No cross training offered
busy from the time that I walked in the door till the time that i left, multi tasking was a key, the hardest part was establishing the priority level on each task
Pros
excellent support
Cons
you were only a number not a person