Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Front Desk Agent

Found 1,443 reviews matching the searchSee all 22,137 reviews

Great Place to work

Great place to work, awesome perks, dealing with guest can be great meeting people from all over. One thing that got to me was that I like to be more active and at times the front desk can be at slow and boring.

Pros

Hotels all over

Cons

Can be slow and boring

Emphasis on customer service, with customers who do not return the favor

Every property is different I'm sure, but each property I have worked at has had major issues. Working front desk can be thankless and demeaning, especially if you have thin skin like myself. It feels like you are always in the wrong, and even if you do your best to help a guest, there is nothing you can do to make it right. Hotel guests are the most entitled pack of people I have ever encountered, it's difficult to see the bright side to this job. The hotel discount is a great perk, as is schedule flexibility. Marriott does place a great deal of importance on customer service, and in my years with the company I felt like my coworkers and I gave some of the friendliest service around. But the when managers and higher ups don't respect you as people, it's hard to keep that great customer service going. The pay is abysmal (I met my property's cap of $13 within a year) so the benefits do not make it worth it. The final straw for me was the lack of assistance during the COVID pandemic. CEO Arne Sorenson made a big deal about not taking a salary during 2020, to "keep the lights on at the hotels" struggling. But what about your employees who were struggling? The employees that make your company what it is? I didn't feel supported by Marriott, the company that I gave almost a decade of my life to.

Pros

hotel discount, flexible schedule, camaraderie with coworkers who also hate their job

Cons

no assistance during COVID, abusive customers, low pay, unpredictable shift length/difficulty

Great management and place for advancement

I have been working with Marriott for 5 years now and it’s a great place to work depending on your position. There is lot’s of room for advancement and leadership team is great. They help you succeed.

Don’t stay too long

Don’t get comfortable always look for ways to advance. Always try to advance, because working the different shifts will cause you to miss important moments in life

Fun place to work in the city

I worked at Denver Marriott City Center. It was a fun job and group of people. Easy to advance into other jobs. I started at a front desk guest service rep and ended as a recruiter in Human Resources.

Pros

Good people, easy work, tips to help guests to rooms

Cons

Early mornings

Great company

Marrriott is a great company to work with, great co workers, they take good care of their employees, good benefits, vacation time 401k dental vision health care

Overall Good

I was lucky enough to have great management that were focused on company policies and values. They stood up for me when needed and made a great work environment.

Pros

Management, food, discounts

Cons

hours, guests

Great place to work, bad management

I didn't have the best experience there. The system they use is super old and it's easy to make mistakes (so old it's black screen like you are coding), the supervisors were usually rude to help you out or to help with a problem and they usually hire many people and only give them few hours.

Pros

employee discount

Cons

old system, bad management

You can move up within the company pretty fast

Nice place to work. Training was great and if I ever felt lost or confused about anything, someone was willing to help. Also everyone had a real positive attitude which help start the day off right

Pros

Great company to move up in

Good and Bad

Rapid room for growth but the onus is on you to get ahead. Job is demanding with very little personal time. But if you want to reach the top quickly the opportunities are boundless.

Jobs at Marriott International, Inc.

Front Desk Agent positions
See more jobs

Good opportunity to learn

Each day as a front desk agent is different. Being adaptable is extremely necessary. Not as much growth potential. The hardest part of the job is smiling with irrate guests.

Very flexible

Great company to work for as long as it's a managed hotel. Flexible hours, paid training, fast paced and very rewarding. Insurance paid time off room for growth

Some of the employees are great to work with.

The management could be a little bit better. If they decide to let you got they just don't put you on the schedule. They always have a high turn over rate. Most of the guests are very rude. On weekends guests would throw parties and be loud.

Front Desk Representative

Management were not on the same page about how they wanted things done which resulted in the workers being yelled at. I quit because Front Desk Manager didn't allow me to complete my training and decided to put me in the lobby on the busiest day of the summer. I clearly was not ready to be at the front desk without help.

great place to work

its a great place to work nice people they work with your hours and availability. They acknowledge you on your birthdays, Thanksgiving Christmas and work anniversary. Not very many places do that so that is really nice!

Pros

they appreciate you acknowledge your anniversary holidays and birthdays

Cons

low pay

Ok

Ok could’ve been paid better since we were constantly understaffed and picking up the slack for any and all departments. Hotels are an acquired taste not cut out for just anyone

Le Meridien Cambridge

Low pay, not fair compensation, management very inexperienced and not willing to learn or put in the hours, not very good environment for a person who wants a professional hospitality career

Pros

Some workers have been there 20+ years and are excellent to work with

Cons

Management doesn't know how to run a hotel, doesn't like to work past 5 PM and so has to put a lot of extra work on hourly employees

My co-workers

ManagementIn general, managers at Marriott International, Inc. are very helpful and show concern for the staff. Selected great team workersOverallMy experience working at Marriott International, Inc. Has been life changing. I am able to be happy and excited about going to work.

expected a lot for a part time minimum wage job

I was hired for front desk, during my interview I was told I would be working the bistro a well because of the hotel being so short staffed, but I would only be making minimum wage. During one of my on boarding days the front desk manger was spread pretty thin conducting interviews and working the desk, after seeing that I didn't understand why I was hired for only part time and they were still actively hiring people.

Pros

benefits were nice but they wouldn't be avaliable to me as a part time employee

Cons

the manager wasn't personable at all, horrible pay and expected to have open avalibilty for part time

Fun place to work

Continually meeting new guests was the best part of the job, always had interesting interactions. Being in hospitality, working holidays was expected, but off season it was very easy to arrange time off. Advancement opportunities was dependent on departments, as it was possible to reach lead/supervisory positions, but going to management was difficult and often the position would be filled by someone from another property. Having the potential to transfer to other properties provided a good sense of job security for whatever life throws at you. They did provide classes to learn more and help your career. Overall, it was a great place to work.

Pros

Flexibility with shifts, employee discounts, interesting people, ability to transfer to one of thousands of new locations

Cons

Shift often conflicts with family time off (holidays/weekends)

Amazing start to hospitality

I still look back at my Marriott Training as some of the best foundation to customer service, hospitality, and guest relations. Great training that I will never forget.

10.3K
6.4K
3.3K
1.1K

• Marriott International, Inc.
  • Front Desk Agent
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?