Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Guest Service Agent

Found 897 reviews matching the searchSee all 22,137 reviews

Supportive and Fun Environment

As a customer service representative in the hospitality industry, the hardest part about this job was maintaining and friendly and welcoming attitude in the face of rude and entitled people. However, the days of dealing with those types of people were few and far between and all the other friendly and gracious faces you see make you forget all the bad ones. During the typical busy season, you can expect to be very busy answering non-stop phone calls while maintaining the highest level of courtesy and professionalism to your guests in your lobby, all while maintaining a busy shuttle schedule and other modes of guest transportation. My coworkers at this hotel felt like family members. Everyone has a team-oriented attitude and always works hard to support each other. The management team at this hotel is absolutely superb. They are friendly, supportive, and understanding. They work extremely hard to get you up to speed on your direct job tasks so that you feel confident about the work you do. If your desire is to work your way up the corporate ladder, they work very hard to teach you additional things you need to know in order to succeed. I never felt as though I was "beneath" any of the management and always knew if I needed a tough question answered, they were no further away than a phone call. In addition to being supportive at work, management cares about your personal life too; they work hard to help you balance your professional and personal time. If I hadn't had to leave the state due to personal reasons, I'd still be working there.

Pros

Management, big hotel/travel discounts, great health, dental, and vision insurance

Cons

Productive and fast paced environment

Very nice administration, pay and benefits. I always felt welcomed and incentive to do the best. Sometimes is kinda hectic but I’m pretty sure happens in every aspect of the hospitality industry.

Pros

Free meals, good savings plans accnt, and managers cares for their team

Cons

Too many shifts in a row like 9 days in a row.

Great Place

Great place to work! Management ensures proper training is provided to all staff. Work environment overall was agreat experience for me. Loved working here.

Marriott branding

While Marriott was in itself fantastic, you have to bear in mind that hotels are run by various management companies. In my case, the management company was mediocre at best. Thank God that if they didn't live up to Marriott's standards, they would literally remove the Marriott name from any hotel guilty of such.

Pros

Meeting interesting people

Cons

Lack of investment by the management company.

Growth

Front desk was pretty relaxing at my current hotel (union property with over 350 rooms). Although it was a fast pace, I like the fast my 8 hour shifts went by fast.

Pros

promotions, free meals, seniority

Cons

non union properties might ask you to work outside your job duties, rude housekeepers, seniority might be flawed

Inconsistent hours and low pay.

I wouldn't bother... typical big business with no loyalty towards ANY workers. No matter how well you do your job you lose out toward favoritism. They prefer "yes men" rather than anyone who actually has something to say. Management were on par with a used car salesman... all smiles, while contributing nothing worthwhile.

Pros

Cons

Everything... work every weekend, quick turnaround on shifts, low pay, supervisors having favorites, zero job stability.

Not Bad

This is not a bad company to work for but it really depends on the location. Can be stressful when HK is behind or people have issues with their rooms but they are mostly solvable.

Pros

Lots of downtime

Cons

When the rush comes, its tough

Great company to work for overall

Marriott international has great benefits and people that work there just care. you get a generous hotel discount that I have used numerous times and its great! Only downside is that if you work at a big hotel like I did it could become a little overwhelming and you can burn out quickly.

Pros

work life balance

Cons

could be overwhelming if you work at a big hotel

good and bd

once you work you'll know whats it like working for marriott. franchise company is different than corporate property. a lot to learn and a lot of dow

Pros

hotel discount

Cons

pay not enough

Awful management, job security, employee retention and moral

It's sad to say that I took this position with high hopes in achieving a better career Kama a structured work environment, and a positive place, it was none of those things they didn't even come close to meeting the expectations that I had, What a disgrace this company is, absolutely not a care in the world about the employees, forget achieving your goals, employee retention and morale is horrible due to lack of structure, order, respect, management, maturity. I've often cried myself to sleep over what went on in this place,

Pros

Stress

Cons

Stress, depressed, sad, negative working environment from the time you walk through the door to the time you leave, I developed stress headaches, and often cried myself to sleep over this place.

Jobs at Marriott International, Inc.

Guest Service Agent positions
See more jobs

Great People Stressful Work

Great company, awesome co-workers but overall competitive atmosphere to get ahead without sufficient experience. I enjoyed coming into work each day for the people around me, but lack of predictable work schedule made it difficult for work-life balance.

Pros

Great travel benefits

Cons

Unpredictable work schedule

Good place to work. Very good benefits. Meets lots of people each and every day. Multiple opportunities to move up in the company. And easy to transfer.

Pros

Benefits, Customer Interaction

ok company to work for

ok company to work for, They do invest alot on training courses however the promotion aspects of the company is minimal. Individuals who have been in the company for many years should be promoted within.

Established culture and principles. Good system in place checks and balances. Workers treated fairly to a great extent. Fairly upbeat environment. A lot of diversity at work.

Good Experience / Terrible Mgmt

This is a good field to gain experience in but you must have thick skin. A lot of hotels are franchises out meaning Marriott does NOT own them they’re owned by a private company meaning most times they make most their own rules. Most hotels also don’t offer great benefits/compensation; such as : hourly/salary pay, sick leave , vacation PTO, discounts etc. The discounts you’re offered are okay but certain hotels such as franchise act very rude when you’re staying using your discount codes. I’ve worked at hotels where they tell guests they don’t accept local guests using the discount which is an inconvenience in the event of a an emergency for an employee/family member. It’s hard to find a hotel owned by Marriott International to be completely honest. Sometimes you can find a good team to work with but the management can be clique like , drama induced , unorganized etc. There’s limited opportunities for advancement leaving employee working for companies 3+ years making starting pay still. Lots of deceitful activity from these hotels seeming to want a good team but ultimately trying to find best leaders, determined employees to overwork and underpay. It’s not worth the headache in my opinion the discounts don’t outweigh the impact on your career . Days can fluctuate on a day to day so be flexible however a lot of times you must be self sufficient due to the term “you’re MOD on your shift” . Even though you’re allowed occasionally to make Mgmt decisions it’s very clear the status/power differential . When you’re interested in advancing with the company most often than not you’re -

Pros

Breaks, Hotel Discounts

Cons

Unpaid PTO/Sick Leave, Management, Lack of Opportunity Advancement

Depending on where, good place to work

Many of these hotels are franchised and depending on the franchise, you can have a good experience or bad. I've had both from companies that are there just to hire their own family members and drive you out to companies that actually take care of their employees.

Teamwork, pride and a sense of belonging.

I have been with Marriott for over 3 years. No day is the same, so it never gets boring. New guests, new groups. If you enjoy face to face customer service, exceeding expectations, have humility and are empathetic - this is for you. Marriott has a great culture and work ethic. The diversity of team members make the workplace interesting and you constantly learn, especially about yourself. Training is a constant and up to date. As a guest service representative you must stand on your feet 8 hours a day, but no worries, it is something you get used to after 6-8 weeks. You face many kind and interesting guests, however you will occasionally face the impatient or angry guest as well. At the end of your shift however, you will feel a sense of accomplishment and you will have spent the day with usually fun, likewise kind and hospitality driven team members and managers. Marriott is the way to go.

Pros

Great benefits, Incentives and mostly good people

Cons

Short breaks, long hours on your feet, shifts change often

Unsafe

I only worked at the property for 6 shifts and almost every shift the sheriff's department would be at our property for one reason or another. The staff is also disrespectful to management and guests.

Fun workplace

Co-operative employees, good work culture, disciplined employees, soft spoken superiors, Open policies, instant problem solution by the management, work ethics

Pros

Meals provided as per shifts

Cons

Some times long working hours

They care about their staff!

I was a seasonal worker that contracted Covid19. I had only been with the company for a month, and worked one shift! Marriott called me to advise me about "COVID-19 pay". I couldn't believe it. They directly deposited the pay and it literally saved me. I will never be able to say enough about how amazing Marriott International is as a employee focused employer.

Pros

Free lunch. (i.e.) Salmon & pasta, easy scheduling with flexibility. Wonderful work environment

Cons

None!

Great Pay, Overbesring Managers

The company is a great one to work for if you get could managers if not it will be miserable because they will shift any guest blame to you to save themselves. They didn’t treat their employees right during Covid causing many to lose their jobs or be furloughed and when brought back given no hours.

Pros

Free Healthcare, Hotel Discounts, High Pay

Cons

Managers will shift blame to you

10.3K
6.4K
3.3K
1.1K

• Marriott International, Inc.
  • Guest Service Agent