Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Guest Service Agent

Found 896 reviews matching the searchSee all 22,128 reviews

Supportive and Fun Environment

As a customer service representative in the hospitality industry, the hardest part about this job was maintaining and friendly and welcoming attitude in the face of rude and entitled people. However, the days of dealing with those types of people were few and far between and all the other friendly and gracious faces you see make you forget all the bad ones. During the typical busy season, you can expect to be very busy answering non-stop phone calls while maintaining the highest level of courtesy and professionalism to your guests in your lobby, all while maintaining a busy shuttle schedule and other modes of guest transportation. My coworkers at this hotel felt like family members. Everyone has a team-oriented attitude and always works hard to support each other. The management team at this hotel is absolutely superb. They are friendly, supportive, and understanding. They work extremely hard to get you up to speed on your direct job tasks so that you feel confident about the work you do. If your desire is to work your way up the corporate ladder, they work very hard to teach you additional things you need to know in order to succeed. I never felt as though I was "beneath" any of the management and always knew if I needed a tough question answered, they were no further away than a phone call. In addition to being supportive at work, management cares about your personal life too; they work hard to help you balance your professional and personal time. If I hadn't had to leave the state due to personal reasons, I'd still be working there.

Pros

Management, big hotel/travel discounts, great health, dental, and vision insurance

Cons

The company overall is well property front desk management not so much

Noticed many times Front desk management left the premises often for Starbucks or was missing for long periods of time, at times even fraternizing with guests. The frequent absence of front desk managers often affected front desk leads which many times caused a domino effect regarding customer service complains and needs—while leads were dealing with other guests, regular agents were left to deal with customer complaints that needed to be dealt with management instead. The company overall is well—not too convinced regarding front desk management on this property versus other Marriott properties. Obvious favoritism, gossiping, and coterie at the front desk. No way to climb up at front desk if not a management favorite or approved by certain coterie.Fun to work at breakfast bar.

Pros

Overall flexibility on schedules and flexibility for students; cross train and great benefits

Cons

Obvious favoritism and certain coterie at the front desk.

Great company with many opportunities to relocate & advance in career

There are so many different roles in each property that this company offers, with great training systems in place to give you the knowledge needed to perform work accurately to the company's standards. I was able to move across country easily because of job availability and the ease of transferring to different properties.

Pros

Benefits, discounts, transfer/advancement

Cons

Work/life balance, depending on position

Not open minded

My typical day at work would include communicating with guests, process audit numbers, and answering phones. I learned to not be one sided on opinions. Management is horrible at communicating and keeping an open mind. I informed my managers of my transition and was told that I was a freak show and to use the restroom all the way in the back of rhe hotel so no one would see me. There are many different cultures. The hardest part of the job is keeping a positive mindset. The most enjoyable part about the job is definitely the guests.

Pros

Free lunch, discounts world wide, decent insurance

Cons

Homophobic, one sided, they make employees stuck, bad role models

Great location and great clientele

I experienced many wonderful years working for the Marriott Marquis. I had great benefits and good pay. I enjoy the experience of a typical day which involves talking with people from all over the world. I have learned from my coworkers and my managers many lessons about dealing with situations that arise from day to day with our guests. The most enjoyable part of my job has been the friendships I have made with so many wonderful and interesting people from both international and local destinations

Pros

I had set days off

Cons

Too many complaints from the associates.

Great company to work for

Fantastic company, well organized, lot of procedures and standards that teach you about hospitality. Good work/life balance, many trainings. Good qualified staff as colleagues. One negative for the property where I worked, is that as foreigner you could notice that the HR Director hated "farang". She has moved on now, so I am sure things will have improved by now.

Pros

Training, work/life

Cons

Anti-foreigner attitide of HR Director

14 years In Hospitality and I've never seen such Slavery towards Room Attendants!!!

The Courtyard Marriott located at Mayo Clinic Jacksonville Fl ,anyone seeking employment with Housekeeping I strongly suggest you don't apply there. The Management Team clearly don't respect their team and how hard they work. During a time like this you would think extra cleaning measures are being taken, instead they over work their associates by giving them at least 26 credits and maybe just maybe 3 out of the total are King rooms meaning all others are doubled bed rooms in which they have no help. The Room Attendants Strip, remove garbage and fetch there own linens sometimes having to work through their breaks or past their off time to complete boards. Covid is high and by over working Attendants= Not Properly Cleaned Rooms .....Be Very Aware!!!

Pros

Associates help each other out

Cons

Poor Management, Overworked Staff

Is the place to grow and learn.

I loved my team, managers we were as a family, but due to Pandemic Covid-19! The company has to layoff most of the employees! I'm hopping this get back to normal to unite with my team again

Lovely company culture ruined by horrible local management.

Your experience with Marriott will depend greatly on the property. While the corporate culture is based on inclusion, mentorship, and teamwork, it is up to the management of each hotel to meet those standards. When they do not, employees suffer. My experience was in a truly toxic property, so poorly managed that standard employees were working upwards of 50 hours a week. Management would pit employees against each other in childish disputes, talk about others' private information behind their backs, and absolutely refused to have their team's back when dealing with nasty guests. Sales goals and overheads were the exclusive aims, resulting in consistently overbooked weeks while understaffing to the point of lunacy. Adequate safety precautions were not taken to protect staff from construction and chemical storage. Retaliation was common, and I personally knew 4 people who suffered mental breakdowns and had to leave. It was the most psychologically abusive environment I have ever worked in, and the Marriott 6-month rule, perhaps protective in other places, left everyone feeling trapped. I quit 3 months in and would hesitate to rejoin the company since, on reporting the issues to district HR, a large group of us were told changes would be made, and none came. Allowing festering sores like the hotel I worked at to continue operating as-is will be the downfall of the company ideals.If you take a job at Marriott, stay sharp, and if it seems that the environment is toxic, begin seeking work outside the company immediately. It simply isn't worth the utter apathy of upper HR to -

Pros

Free meals, discounts, personal training materials

Cons

No transfers within 6 month period, poor local management, low pay, hours make holding another job impossible even if you are barely scheduled, no work over holidays

One of the Best Places to Work

I have been with Marriott for over 15 years and I always went to a Marriott branded hotel each time I went to a new property, I was dedicated to Marriott and that is because I loved it! It is a great place to start for people that want to make hospitality & tourism their career. The company takes care of their employees, just like they take care of their guests and Mr. Marriott would not have it any other way!

Pros

Amazing growth potential, great benefits, hotel discount perks are awesome!

Cons

Pay for entry level positions is very low

Jobs at Marriott International, Inc.

Guest Service Agent positions
See more jobs

Very engaging and fulfilling

Culture is a vibe, meeting new guests and return travelers, anticipating their needs to leave them feeling recognized and wanted at the property, prompting great professional relationships with all guests.

Pros

Union Membership

Cons

Seniority

fun and rewarding

Great leadership from CEO! Very rewarding to interact with people from all over the world. Also, ways providing necessary training to advance in the hospitality industry.

Pros

Leadership

Great leaders.

Amazing company. Came in as a temp, then became hired on full-time. Would have stayed longer if it wasn't for Covid-19 I will greatly miss working for Marriott.

Fun

● Work-life balanceGood work environment energy food and service and will continue working with the reservation reservation for a reservation reservation y

Guest Services Representative

Great job, great people, pay is bad. Only make $9 an hour and I’m too afraid to ask for more money. But I believe i’m worth more than $15,600 a year. That’s why I’m looking for a new job.

I love everything. I don't have any complaints. Management were very understanding and accommodating.I enjoyed all my time in all the Marriott properties I work.

Pros

Good benefits

Great Workplace

Great place to work! Fantastic company! There are no boring days, everyday is different! The only drawback working in the operations end is that vacation days are our biggest work days :) It's not bad they pay fairly and the company really cares about it's employees.

Loved my job.

Went into furlough when Covid started. I had seniority,been there for two years,worked myself into the ground because they couldnt keep anyone. Was not asked back,instead they bought back one of our sales managers daughter,who had only been there a year. I wanted to keep my status with the company,so i could move on later on. Management is not fair,they like to only hire family members,which i thought was not professional.

Pros

Discounted rates, i loved my other coworkers.

Cons

No breaks, not enough employees, bad management

Amazing workplace

The Marriott knows how to treat their employees the right way. They are very friendly and are all about their guests and their employees. Love the Marriott.

Pros

Cons

Non

Horrible

Marriott is a horrible company. They don't care about you. Managers only care about numbers. They want you to get high customer satisfaction scores but they don't tell you it's because senior management gets a bonus if you do. In return you get treated bad if you're not friends with the manager.

Pros

pay is good

Cons

bad place to work

I loved It

Great learning opporunity. It's great getting to meet new people and even getting to know your faithful guest. I know that you can go online to better education yourself to make room for promotions.

10.3K
6.4K
3.3K
1.1K

• Marriott International, Inc.
  • Guest Service Agent