Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Calgary, AB

Found 46 reviews matching the searchSee all 22,123 reviews

Multicultural staff makes for warm-hearted discussions when the pace is slow. We really were there for each other when the pace was fast!

Show them that you are a world citizen with no prejudices. They will treat you the same. They supported me and gave me greater confidence in driving a wide variety of vehicles.

Pros

Tips

Privilege culture

Overload of work that will be highly scrutinized. More often than not, you will be reprimanded for the pettiest of mistakes the more so if your ethnicity is of a certain type in which case you can expect continuous disciplinary actions and write ups.Surprisingly; managerial culture leans to taskmaster style. Management teams are not people with professional training (in hotel management or business) neither multilingual individuals. It can be very difficult to explain to them decisions made based on Accounting principles, or market segmentation. They're not just there neither they are open to listen or learn. Contributions on how to increase financial performance will be lousily shut down by mgmt, only to have them implemented a few month later as mgmt's own process re-engineering.The company expects employees to apologize and be subservient to rude and abusive customers; especially those that booked wrong dates, room type, number of guests, etc. Zero accountability for lazy people who will not contribute to the daily operation, pointing this out will automatically label you as a problematic individual and a non-team player.The hardest thing to learn and witness: ethnicity plays a big role in your performance review and advancement.The most enjoyable part: you meet nice colleagues and there is good camaraderie.

Pros

If you like to travel, employee discounts do make a difference, for good.

Cons

Ethnicity plays a big role in professional growth regardless of credentials

Awesome company

Can’t say enough about the community and culture that Marriott creates and fosters. Fantastic company to work for, opportunities are everywhere! Highly recommend.

Great place to work!!

Family atmosphere. Encourage and offer courses to help advancement. The company has great benefits. Managers are very involved with staff and often help out when needed. Always have activities that involve the different departments

Excellent

Calgary's largest four-diamond property with 525 guest rooms and 26,000 square feet of event space to plan your meeting in style and to rest after a successful day

Work Work Work

Have a full-time job because they only give casual positions, but the pay per hour is very good. There is an underlying favoritism in management, that means people who do their best and just want to work can't have that many shifts than people who have "personal assets" that higher-ups and supervisors like to keep unhealthily, and people they hire are not very refined, lazies. Also, people are surprisingly (to me) and comfortably unprofessional. Other than that I like working there because I can work there.

Productive and great place to work in

This company cares about its associates. They value their hard work. If you get a chance to work for a Marriott take it and you will see what a company that cares about you should be like.

It was okay in the Banquets Department

This job is a seasonal job. You will have two good weeks to not working for a month. This job is a side job, its quick and easy. It's not the most reliable job though.

I like working there and I learned many new things which I can use in other jobs. They have good training at the Marriott and I recommend to others that they work there.

great place to work

this is one of the best comnpanies i have ever worked for. Learnt alot, met lots of great people and made good money. I regret leaving the marriott because they are such a great company

Great Culture with a focus on guests

Hardest part of the Job was work life balance. They work you to the bone with little recognition. Put in your time and you will go far. Lots of opportunity to move up and around to try different things.

Good company but poor management

Company wise is good, salary, benefits, and perks, management is not fair theres no support for any improvement or another learning aspect. Raises in a other way. HR lack of providing information and help to employees...

Pros

Benefits and perks

Review

Pay was great , No hours no Benefits unless your Full Time Employee, Location is great in downtown area accessible by Ctrain , if they gave hours people would stay .

Pros

Pay

Fun and cooperative environment

Just serving guests with enthusiasm, I have learned a lot like cooperation, being able to the work in a fast phase etc, Hardest part of the job is doing things physically (very tiring) Most enjoyable part is be able to work with a lot of fun people.

Pros

sometimes free food

Cons

short hours especially low season for I am only casual. pretty long time to grow

Team work in the Rooms Division

A typical days is ensuring that the Front Office and Guest Service teams are looking after our guest arrival, in-house and departure experience. There are daily audit functions that are required throughout the daily and I have to sign off that the accuracy of the reports are complete. GSS is answered and acknowledged within 48 hours of guest sending in comments from different avenues of Online platforms. Consistently walking thru the Hotel to ensure the safety of the building and guests in all public areas. Act as the Manager on Duty at night in absence of the daytime management team gone home by 5pm.

Pros

Monthly team goals and achievements rewarded

Cons

Note always having enough time in the day to complete all tasks

Working at Marriott is pretty hard but worth it.

Since it is my first job, I learned a lot about how workplaces works, and I enjoy working with them. Though it's pretty hard at first I manage to work things out. The management are pretty strict in terms of cleanliness which is a very important part in our line of work. The hardest part of it is when the peak days come, lots of hours in the other hand but super tired, while the most enjoyable part is when I can meet different types of people staying in the hotel coming from different parts of the world.

Pros

They have soup, breads, coffee, tea and others that we can enjoy at our break time.

good benefits

good lunch and diner charge low price. super busy in hot season, super free in winter time. good benefits for us. but the some polices in hotel and unclear.

Pros

good lunch and diner charge low price

Great Place

Friendly environment to work. Very fast paced and fun place to work! Managers are very approachable and there when needed. Flexible hours and great place for growth. The restaurant is newly renovated along with the guest rooms which make the place look fresh and modern.

Pros

Christmas Party

Cons

Split Shifts

workplace

I love working with team and learning new stuff from my coworkers such as cultures . the hardest part at job is when I don't know the environment of my work place . the most enjoyable part at work will be friendly understanding one other.

I work in a hotel but not Marriot

Every hotel company allow their staff to learn and to grow to their field of work. Provides training to help employees to achieved their objectives. As a hotel worker for 6 years internationally allow me to understand every needs of different person and to communicate to them properly.

Pros

Free food

Cons

No holidays

server people

Set Ups the table and same decoration, Dinner serve with different Styles , buffer or passing food ,serve the pake of the food, in the Calgary Marriott hotel restaurant event ,meeting ,wedding ,electron,bar,and more...

Pros

free eating

Cons

6 to 12

10.3K
6.4K
3.3K
1.1K

• Marriott International, Inc.
  • Calgary, AB