Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Birmingham, AL

Found 71 reviews matching the searchSee all 22,128 reviews

Great Place to Start

Great job to work. The company was good overall. They did slot of fun things for employees. It was hard to be social and get to know coworkers because of course you have to be constantly available to take alarms, but they tried to make up for it with doing fun things fo employees. Things like food trucks, free food, and ways to win awards and prizes to keep up morale. Managers were nice and very lenient.

Pros

Free lunch, friendly staff

Cons

Short breaks, big departments

Demanding but sometimes rewarding

As with any hospitality, guests can be a hassle from time to time especially in F&B. Pay was under what I would consider appropriate, but not too far off. My only issues were our management team, nearly top to bottom. That and they laid nearly every employee off during Covid so take with it what you will. Forced 'family' atmosphere that meant nothing.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

short or no breaks, less than adequate pay

Nothing Bad to Say

The training was great, given that I had no prior experience. There were a lot of opportunities to cross train in different departments, but it was not forced at all. On days where the staff would be overworked, our boss often bought us lunch and we always had little 10-15 minute events and meetings to keep people motivated. I also watched a girl who got hired a week before me train in all the departments and then get promoted to Assistant General Manager at another hotel from a front desk position.

Pros

room discounts, great benefits, nice work environment

it use to be fun

they told me i was being terminated cause they was getting rid of all supervisor position they then told us we could drop down to be room attendant's but that was lie so it looks like we will be without a job starting November 6th

Great culture and access to promotions

The workplace culture is wonderful. Most people are very friendly. Want to move up in the company? Plenty of opportunities and encouragement from management. Continuing education is a big part of Marriott life. There is always something else to learn to impact the guests and other employees. Also many ways to learn how to perform new challenges before your next promotion. It's hard work, but lots of fun!

Job is simply great

Room service is dubbed as in room dining or ird for short. While in the position I was trained in Food handling Loss prevention Guest services And bank management

It was an overall great experience.

The best part of my day was when I finish early and I'm able to catch up on other job tasks. I'll help any of the housekeepers that's still there and I'll help the laundry attendant pull dirty linen and I'll also be doing my room service. calls

Great environment

The people, the environment is family oriented and everyone works together to make the job run smoothly and everyone is a team player and easy to work with.

My time working for Marriott was very Interesting, I worked there for 2 years, in which my first year, I was expected to perform miracles.

The management at the time of my employment was pretty descent to start. There wasn't enough banquet employees, I had no assistant, and did not have the tools to operate my department.

Everyday at work was hard when you can't get any materials

I worked as an Chief Engineer for Marriott in Mobile and in Birmingham Alabama. The management was harsh and working conditions were very hard. I never thought I would say that companies like this is why Americans are losing the battle....

good job

sometimes you have to do multiple jobs which can be stressful as long as not getting paid for them. However mostly they work with you with scheduling and help out when needed.

Pros

they feed you!, benefits, flexible schedule

Cons

sometimes stressful

Terrible place to work

The only good thing about this place is the discount that you get a marriott hotel's when traveling! The pay sucks (at least for me it did) i was there almost 4 years and only received one raise after almost 2. I was constantly promised promotion opportunities and salary increases that never came. I wised up and left. Worst job ever! ever!

Pros

Dicounts on hotel rooms

Cons

Everything else

Expedting Orders

Expedting customers orders, making everything is straight A1. I really enjoyed working there with all different types of people. It was a job that I loved so much

The management at this location has repeatedly lied to me concerning wages and benefits.

The manger here at this location, has repeatedly lied to me, concerning benefits , and made promises about raises, and lied about it, only to string you along and keep you working for them. They never fulfill these promises. Also, discrimination in wages with employees doing the same job, same length of employment and experience.

Nice place to work

The people there always had your back. The only downfall was the work life balance. If it was busy, you are not going home. If it was slow, don't expect going to work unless it was training.

I learned everything from Marriott

I learned everything about sales from Marriott International! Great place to work and grow! I resigned for personal reasons and would totally return to MI one day in the future.

management

Makes it hard for you to come in to work. Not pleasant to be around or work for. The most enjoyable part is going home after having such a stressful day of dealing with someone that's hard to work with.

Work, work, play, work

Work, work, play, work. It was a franchise that had some rules that were different than the main company. It was a good place to work, but the only challenge was the new managers every few months.

productive, fun and friendly environment

nice pay, overtime, good benefits, respect and show workers appreciation, great discounts, get paid vacation, get paid sick time, free lunches and management is wonderful

Stressful and no work/life balance

The job itself is not the stressful part of this position. The stressful part is that the people at the particular Marriott I am employed at does not communicate proficiently. No one is organized and I am yelled at from all sides due to others not doing their job.

Did not like working there

This place was very unorganized. I had at least 4 different bosses in my time there. They dont treat their employees right and did not care about thr employees home life.

10.3K
6.4K
3.3K
1.1K

• Marriott International, Inc.
  • Birmingham, AL