Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Front Desk Manager

Found 441 reviews matching the searchSee all 22,123 reviews

Great place to work and meeting people from around the world

My duties are to managed, assist, and oversee front desk staff responsibilities. Ensuring all guests are being services in a professional and knowledgeable manner. I handled the daily transactions of credit card charges, cash deposits, and certificates to maintain balance between rates and rooms sold. I have a working knowledge of each shifts and how daily reports are uphold. I’d Communications between departments to ensure the safety and satisfaction of our guests. Customer care and daily guest disputes are directly to me guarantee gratification between guests and the Marriott brand. I’m in charge of managing budgets, scheduling, writing reviews, assist with disciplinary actions, and preserve team morale for my associates.

Great company

Marriott is a good company to work for. The pay ranked higher than most companies I've worked for, and my hotel was a great environment. I would recommend Marriott for all hospitality workers.

Tampa Airport Marriott

Long hours and severely underpaid. Management was sneaky at the time and careless. Day shifts would turn into overnight shifts and was almost dangerous to drive home at times.

Working at the Springhill Suites Ridley Park was a nightmare

You ever have a job where you learn more of what not to do? That was my experience working in Ridley Park. Outside of the DOS and chief engineer, there was no pleasantries within management. The GM would constantly ridicule employees in public or in private (basically wherever they were standing). To me it seemed like the staff tolerated her more than anything, and although I was only there for a short time I knew I didn’t want to treat my employees that way. They may be using direct deposit now but when I was there you had to wait a year to get it because the owner didn’t want to pay the expenses for it. Finally I was fired over the phone because we didn’t sell out on a night we got hit by a bad winter storm because the night auditor didn’t follow the instructions I gave her. When I tried to explain it was unfair I was being fired with no prior write ups, written warnings, and the fact that it was originally a night we weren’t expected to sell out and only were short by a few rooms, my words were basically dismissed. Never work there if you want to advance in hospitality. If you just want a job to get by go for it. The only good thing about it were the hourly employees who made even the hard days great.

Pros

Marriott employee discount, good staff to work with

Cons

GM has unrealistic expectations of managers, low pay, toxic environment.

Less productivity lot of learning team players

Work place was stressful learned a lot management not good healthy workplace culture to get back to work to work with fellow colleagues who make work Interesting

I miss Hospitality

Worked at Marriott for three years. The good: atmosphere, never gets boring, benefits, and upward mobility. The larger the hotel, the crazier it gets.The bad: WORKlife balance (not much life, more work), pay is on the lower side, and the hours are chaotic depending on your department.

Pros

benefits, fun

Cons

pay, worklife

Totally happy

Find a good property and stick with it. You'll love it. Avoid run down properties, you'll feel worth nothing but complaints. Newer builds are definitely the way to go.

Great Coworkers, Inept Management

They generally hire nice and friendly people, so the day to day interaction with coworkers was usually great. It really felt like one big work-family at times. The work itself isn't difficult; there's a daily checklist to follow in addition to checking people in and out. Quite easy. However, upper management has really declined. Directors of each department usually have been around for years, play favorites, and rely heavily on their supervisors to make them look good. Sitting in on management meetings was a daily reminder that everyone is disposable. If you've been there for a while and know what you're doing, you're expected to pick up everyone's slack, so it's better to play dumb here. Don't even bother asking for a pay raise. It is important to note that this is not a corporate Marriott; it is a franchise. I have friends who worked for corporate locations and were incredibly happy.

Pros

good benefits, good people

Cons

management, not enough pay for the work

Management is great. Team environment. Shift is good for me. Great opportunities, good training. Pleasant place to work. Great company to work for with good benefits.

Benefits

I head out standing benefits with the Marriott and being that I am diabetic that was wonderful, I had great experience with them again. Loved working for the Marriott properties

Pros

Free lunch and dinner and healthcare

Cons

Fairness on the job

Great company

Company has a great culture and takes care of their employees. There is ample room to grow into new careers with great training. I would recommend working for this company.

Great company

Great company to work for. The management supports the employees and takes care of their people. Payment is not the highest but reasonable comparing with the job.

It was an ok job

It was ok, I think was alot of down time however I had multiple jobs, scheduling, room inspection, sometimes I would help house keeping, do paperwork and lots more

Pros

Monthly birthday parties for employees

Lean staffing is a scourge

Like so many employers, this hotel was too concerned about the owners making absurd profits, at the cost of their employees' overall health. There were many times where we were completely short staffed with 90+ arrivals on nights where management simply refused to cover when they should have. Let me tell you, there is nothing quite like having to work a front desk shift on a night with that many arrivals and no one on phones to take room service orders, leaving you and your single coworker to check in all these guests and field tons of phone calls a night, sometimes not even having time to take our 30 minute breaks. I was often forced to cover many of these shifts myself, and took on a massive workload of various projects as well as having to discipline the staff for my manager who seemed completely inept and afraid to discipline them on their own. Morale was low with my team for about the entire last two years I worked there.

Pros

Free lunch, EXCELLENT benefits, great PTO benefits

Cons

No leadership, Sometimes no breaks, lean staffing

Great job, not enough pay

Love working for Marriott. Great discounts for hotels and free meals at work. Great guest interaction and work in a great team. Sometimes a big work load and not paid enough for the amount you do and knowledge and systems you need to know. No overtime paid

Pros

Travel discounts

Cons

Not enough pay

Busy and Chaotic with no clear direction.

Marriott works you hard, pays you little and claims that getting a small discount at any Marriott hotel makes up for the pay. It does not. Additionally there is never any time to use this discount as you are busy working all the time because it is impossible to maintain any sort of permanent front desk staff with the pay they offer them.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Everything.

growth

lots of growth opportunities. training opportunities are plentiful especially if will willing to move. Great benefits offered as well. Highly recommend.

Brilliant place to work

One of the best companies to work for. Job can be stressful at times but very rewarding. Constant feedback and training given. The staff are like family.

Pros

Progression

Good company as long as youre working for a corporate owned property...

Franchise locations dont pay fairly or allow for advancement even after being with them for 10 years. Great place to learn how to interact with people and be personable for another career.

Pros

Can be a good gateway for better career

Cons

No advancement opportunities.

Great working culture with excellent teamwork

It was tremendous teamwork among the company and working culture was an extraordinary! Human Resource’s is open and fair for all. It’s not hard to pass your feedback if you would like to raise your voice in case it’s needed.

Lots of opportunity

Put the work and you can advance great benefits, lots of hotels everywhere so you can also relocate, work all hours hotels do not close, open 365 days a year

10.3K
6.4K
3.3K
1.1K

• Marriott International, Inc.
  • Front Desk Manager