Marriott International, Inc. logo
Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Guest Service Agent

Found 894 reviews matching the searchSee all 21,984 reviews

Supportive and Fun Environment

As a customer service representative in the hospitality industry, the hardest part about this job was maintaining and friendly and welcoming attitude in the face of rude and entitled people. However, the days of dealing with those types of people were few and far between and all the other friendly and gracious faces you see make you forget all the bad ones. During the typical busy season, you can expect to be very busy answering non-stop phone calls while maintaining the highest level of courtesy and professionalism to your guests in your lobby, all while maintaining a busy shuttle schedule and other modes of guest transportation. My coworkers at this hotel felt like family members. Everyone has a team-oriented attitude and always works hard to support each other. The management team at this hotel is absolutely superb. They are friendly, supportive, and understanding. They work extremely hard to get you up to speed on your direct job tasks so that you feel confident about the work you do. If your desire is to work your way up the corporate ladder, they work very hard to teach you additional things you need to know in order to succeed. I never felt as though I was "beneath" any of the management and always knew if I needed a tough question answered, they were no further away than a phone call. In addition to being supportive at work, management cares about your personal life too; they work hard to help you balance your professional and personal time. If I hadn't had to leave the state due to personal reasons, I'd still be working there.

Pros

Management, big hotel/travel discounts, great health, dental, and vision insurance

Marriott branding

While Marriott was in itself fantastic, you have to bear in mind that hotels are run by various management companies. In my case, the management company was mediocre at best. Thank God that if they didn't live up to Marriott's standards, they would literally remove the Marriott name from any hotel guilty of such.

Pros

Meeting interesting people

Cons

Lack of investment by the management company.

Growth

Front desk was pretty relaxing at my current hotel (union property with over 350 rooms). Although it was a fast pace, I like the fast my 8 hour shifts went by fast.

Pros

promotions, free meals, seniority

Cons

non union properties might ask you to work outside your job duties, rude housekeepers, seniority might be flawed

Inconsistent hours and low pay.

I wouldn't bother... typical big business with no loyalty towards ANY workers. No matter how well you do your job you lose out toward favoritism. They prefer "yes men" rather than anyone who actually has something to say. Management were on par with a used car salesman... all smiles, while contributing nothing worthwhile.

Pros

Cons

Everything... work every weekend, quick turnaround on shifts, low pay, supervisors having favorites, zero job stability.

Not Bad

This is not a bad company to work for but it really depends on the location. Can be stressful when HK is behind or people have issues with their rooms but they are mostly solvable.

Pros

Lots of downtime

Cons

When the rush comes, its tough

good and bd

once you work you'll know whats it like working for marriott. franchise company is different than corporate property. a lot to learn and a lot of dow

Pros

hotel discount

Cons

pay not enough

Awful management, job security, employee retention and moral

It's sad to say that I took this position with high hopes in achieving a better career Kama a structured work environment, and a positive place, it was none of those things they didn't even come close to meeting the expectations that I had, What a disgrace this company is, absolutely not a care in the world about the employees, forget achieving your goals, employee retention and morale is horrible due to lack of structure, order, respect, management, maturity. I've often cried myself to sleep over what went on in this place,

Pros

Stress

Cons

Stress, depressed, sad, negative working environment from the time you walk through the door to the time you leave, I developed stress headaches, and often cried myself to sleep over this place.

Great People Stressful Work

Great company, awesome co-workers but overall competitive atmosphere to get ahead without sufficient experience. I enjoyed coming into work each day for the people around me, but lack of predictable work schedule made it difficult for work-life balance.

Pros

Great travel benefits

Cons

Unpredictable work schedule

Good place to work. Very good benefits. Meets lots of people each and every day. Multiple opportunities to move up in the company. And easy to transfer.

Pros

Benefits, Customer Interaction

ok company to work for

ok company to work for, They do invest alot on training courses however the promotion aspects of the company is minimal. Individuals who have been in the company for many years should be promoted within.

Jobs at Marriott International, Inc.

Guest Service Agent positions
See more jobs

Established culture and principles. Good system in place checks and balances. Workers treated fairly to a great extent. Fairly upbeat environment. A lot of diversity at work.

Good Experience / Terrible Mgmt

This is a good field to gain experience in but you must have thick skin. A lot of hotels are franchises out meaning Marriott does NOT own them they’re owned by a private company meaning most times they make most their own rules. Most hotels also don’t offer great benefits/compensation; such as : hourly/salary pay, sick leave , vacation PTO, discounts etc. The discounts you’re offered are okay but certain hotels such as franchise act very rude when you’re staying using your discount codes. I’ve worked at hotels where they tell guests they don’t accept local guests using the discount which is an inconvenience in the event of a an emergency for an employee/family member. It’s hard to find a hotel owned by Marriott International to be completely honest. Sometimes you can find a good team to work with but the management can be clique like , drama induced , unorganized etc. There’s limited opportunities for advancement leaving employee working for companies 3+ years making starting pay still. Lots of deceitful activity from these hotels seeming to want a good team but ultimately trying to find best leaders, determined employees to overwork and underpay. It’s not worth the headache in my opinion the discounts don’t outweigh the impact on your career . Days can fluctuate on a day to day so be flexible however a lot of times you must be self sufficient due to the term “you’re MOD on your shift” . Even though you’re allowed occasionally to make Mgmt decisions it’s very clear the status/power differential . When you’re interested in advancing with the company most often than not you’re -

Pros

Breaks, Hotel Discounts

Cons

Unpaid PTO/Sick Leave, Management, Lack of Opportunity Advancement

Depending on where, good place to work

Many of these hotels are franchised and depending on the franchise, you can have a good experience or bad. I've had both from companies that are there just to hire their own family members and drive you out to companies that actually take care of their employees.

Teamwork, pride and a sense of belonging.

I have been with Marriott for over 3 years. No day is the same, so it never gets boring. New guests, new groups. If you enjoy face to face customer service, exceeding expectations, have humility and are empathetic - this is for you. Marriott has a great culture and work ethic. The diversity of team members make the workplace interesting and you constantly learn, especially about yourself. Training is a constant and up to date. As a guest service representative you must stand on your feet 8 hours a day, but no worries, it is something you get used to after 6-8 weeks. You face many kind and interesting guests, however you will occasionally face the impatient or angry guest as well. At the end of your shift however, you will feel a sense of accomplishment and you will have spent the day with usually fun, likewise kind and hospitality driven team members and managers. Marriott is the way to go.

Pros

Great benefits, Incentives and mostly good people

Cons

Short breaks, long hours on your feet, shifts change often

Unsafe

I only worked at the property for 6 shifts and almost every shift the sheriff's department would be at our property for one reason or another. The staff is also disrespectful to management and guests.

Fun workplace

Co-operative employees, good work culture, disciplined employees, soft spoken superiors, Open policies, instant problem solution by the management, work ethics

Pros

Meals provided as per shifts

Cons

Some times long working hours

They care about their staff!

I was a seasonal worker that contracted Covid19. I had only been with the company for a month, and worked one shift! Marriott called me to advise me about "COVID-19 pay". I couldn't believe it. They directly deposited the pay and it literally saved me. I will never be able to say enough about how amazing Marriott International is as a employee focused employer.

Pros

Free lunch. (i.e.) Salmon & pasta, easy scheduling with flexibility. Wonderful work environment

Cons

None!

Great Pay, Overbesring Managers

The company is a great one to work for if you get could managers if not it will be miserable because they will shift any guest blame to you to save themselves. They didn’t treat their employees right during Covid causing many to lose their jobs or be furloughed and when brought back given no hours.

Pros

Free Healthcare, Hotel Discounts, High Pay

Cons

Managers will shift blame to you

good benefits/ 1 free meal a day

By working in a large Hotel chain, you must be flexible to work any shift. Hotels are operating 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week.Vacations and time off as well as scheduling is by seniority. You also must be able to work weekends and holidays. MUST be available to work overtime.

Pros

Great Benefits

Cons

schedule and work hours

The company overall is well property front desk management not so much

Noticed many times Front desk management left the premises often for Starbucks or was missing for long periods of time, at times even fraternizing with guests. The frequent absence of front desk managers often affected front desk leads which many times caused a domino effect regarding customer service complains and needs—while leads were dealing with other guests, regular agents were left to deal with customer complaints that needed to be dealt with management instead. The company overall is well—not too convinced regarding front desk management on this property versus other Marriott properties. Obvious favoritism, gossiping, and coterie at the front desk. No way to climb up at front desk if not a management favorite or approved by certain coterie.Fun to work at breakfast bar.

Pros

Overall flexibility on schedules and flexibility for students; cross train and great benefits

Cons

Obvious favoritism and certain coterie at the front desk.

Great company with many opportunities to relocate & advance in career

There are so many different roles in each property that this company offers, with great training systems in place to give you the knowledge needed to perform work accurately to the company's standards. I was able to move across country easily because of job availability and the ease of transferring to different properties.

Pros

Benefits, discounts, transfer/advancement

Cons

Work/life balance, depending on position

10.3K
6.3K
3.3K
1.1K

• Marriott International, Inc.
  • Guest Service Agent