Marriott International

Marriott International Employee Reviews for Guest Service Agent

Guest Service Agent928 reviews

Found 928 reviews matching the searchSee all 23,140 reviews

Supportive and Fun Environment

As a customer service representative in the hospitality industry, the hardest part about this job was maintaining and friendly and welcoming attitude in the face of rude and entitled people. However, the days of dealing with those types of people were few and far between and all the other friendly and gracious faces you see make you forget all the bad ones. During the typical busy season, you can expect to be very busy answering non-stop phone calls while maintaining the highest level of courtesy and professionalism to your guests in your lobby, all while maintaining a busy shuttle schedule and other modes of guest transportation. My coworkers at this hotel felt like family members. Everyone has a team-oriented attitude and always works hard to support each other. The management team at this hotel is absolutely superb. They are friendly, supportive, and understanding. They work extremely hard to get you up to speed on your direct job tasks so that you feel confident about the work you do. If your desire is to work your way up the corporate ladder, they work very hard to teach you additional things you need to know in order to succeed. I never felt as though I was "beneath" any of the management and always knew if I needed a tough question answered, they were no further away than a phone call. In addition to being supportive at work, management cares about your personal life too; they work hard to help you balance your professional and personal time. If I hadn't had to leave the state due to personal reasons, I'd still be working there.

Pros

Management, big hotel/travel discounts, great health, dental, and vision insurance

Cons

Professional and fun to work in

Working with a reputable multi International company is beyond words. I have worked in all shifts and all the staff are very professional and fun to work with. In this kind of industry, I inherited excellent customer service skills, communication skills, leadership skills, teamwork skills, interpersonal skills and there are more to mention. Management are strict, caring and treats everyone like a family. Marriott International is one of the best place to work in.

A nice place to work at.

Excellent working conditions. Driven goal getting gives one the drive to do their best for their clients. One community at work. Gives room for growth.

Fun worker

I enjoy getting to know my coworkers. I love being able to build a team. I love making sure anyone who stays with us has the most enjoyable and pleasant time. I always do my best to make sure that every clients needs are met. And make sure their trip is one of the most enjoyable. I enjoy making people happy. And take pleasure in knowing I helped them have a wonderful time.

Productive and fun place to work for

Company polices are good.appraisals are fair and they give good salary hike every year.Good work, flexibility to work that place and developing option is available.

Pros

Free meals

Cons

Long working hours

Front Desk Associate

Great opportunities to move up if you stay with the company and great discounts . Pay wasn’t that great though and work can get boring.Wish there was more opportunities to switch departments tooo.

Productive and fun place to work

Very nice place to work, the staff is friendly, space to grow your hospitality journey, many things to learn, best customer service, good entry level pay

Worked with a great diversity of people

Learned about different Cultures.Some Managers play favorites.Working Understaffed most of the time.Worked with a large diverse group that came from different parts of the World.

Pros

Free Lunches, Discounts, Health Plan.

Cons

Some Managers play the favoritism game.

Overall Decent

Fun working with people and engaging with guests. However, The pay is AWFUL. Front Desk agents pay is typically 14-16 an hour. No one can truly live off of that.

No steady schedule

Excellent benefits package. Horrible upper management. Work schedule is different every week, different hours, different days off. Can never make plans in advance. Managers rarely approve PTO requests. Training is minimal and them you are thrown in to do the job. Small errors get you written up. Required to do double shifts when next shift calls out. But, don't clock out a minute after your shift ends, you'll get accused of stealing time and get written up.

Growth at this company

I love working for Marriott. Very professional and they help you with growth. If there is a problem they are there to help you. They investigate the problem.

hotel discounts

Working for Marriott is based on how business is and when. If there are groups during the weekends that you will work weekends. Since Covid the business travel is not happening and there is no work! Too many 'chiefs' working the property and the pay is not enough to pay for the bills. Work here if you are on retirement and want to travel using the hotel discounts.

Pros

hotel discounts

Cons

no set schedules, work ALL the holidays and weekends...no life, not enough pay

Working as front desk - give you little or no advancement base of your manager.

Working as front desk - give you little or no advancement base of your manager. Work politic is huge. You often have to bow down to them. If you are lucky work with great managers, they will try to bring you up all the time. Work life balance is a joke in hospitality, no days off if you are not executive position.

Pros

great benefits travel discount

Cons

no advancement depend on the property no work life balance pay is way below market average

2020 was a real eye opener

corona really exposed the management. only hired a few employees back, so they worked alone most of the shift. didnt hire enough housekeepers back. and basically reset our tenures back to new employees.

Pros

discounts on hotel stays, food

Cons

toxic management

Great work environment

Very satisfied with my job. Managment is really good with working around schedules. Work enviroment is really free and welcoming. There is alot of room for advsncement.

The Culture

I loved working at Marriott Gaylord National located in National Harbor, MD. Even-though there was definitely no work life balance at all. The pay was good!

Pros

The Diverse Culture

Cons

Work life balance

Co workers are lovely compared to managers

Marriott has great benefits and takes care of their employees well but there is a less chance of growth depending where you work and also you get to meet new people every day .

Benefits

Cons

No growth

I liked my colleagues but not very much the management

It was very busy at times, especially weekends, weddings, big events.What I've learned it was more related to the culture of the country not with the job itself as I came from hospitality background.I didn't appreciate management very much, you know that felling that you're just a number in the company, sometimes I felt like they never really cared about you.The hardest part of the job I would say, maybe the idea that you had to do more than you were hired to do, and sometimes whenever you had to deliver something to the client and you didn't have the product available.The most enjoyable part of the job it was the people you meet inside, your colleagues they're were always willing to help you whenever you needed.I think the company should invest more in the people working there, such as training, developing, offer continued education, discounts, more social events, meals on duty, try to include people working in other times as well.Management should participate more, and listen the employees because the company only survive because we are there, we need them as much as they need us, so why don't appreciate the people working for you. Once you don't value those people they will always leave.

Pros

friendly people inside

Cons

They didn't offer meals on duty, you had to buy your own food

Housekeeping

It’s an easy job if you don’t mind cleaning,good pay, great benefits but terrible management. Supportive coworkers. It’s a great place to work overall, management needs to work on communication with non managers.

Pros

Free lunch

I love it

Great company. I have been here for years and I have grown a lot. I started as a kitchen steward and completed college and became the guest services manager. I have learned so many things.

Long hours, not flexible, bad management, plays favorites. I was pretty good at my job and never felt appreciated which was sad but it was a temporary job while I finished college.

Pros

Sometimes free food.

Cons

Management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marriott International. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits
  • Marriott International
  • Guest Service Agent
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?