University of Maryland University College

University of Maryland University College Employee Reviews

not applicable - worked from home
Accessibility Tester (Current Employee) –  remoteAugust 21, 2019
I worked from home and was part of a short term project so therefore this question does not really apply. I worked with UM employees but was not an employee
Flexibility/Pay/Management
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDAugust 21, 2019
I've worked in 3 different positions here and overall it has been amazing. I've moved around for personal growth. I've always increased in pay, had a flexible work schedule (great work/life balance) and my management (except one) has been great. I don't plan on leaving. The benefits are out of this world and the leave is AMAZING.
Pros
Flexibility, pay, benefits
Cons
The work culture for people of color can sometimes be a battle.
Great Manager and Welcoming Environment
External Relations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clark School of EngineeringAugust 17, 2019
I worked with a Great Manager at the Clark School of Engineering. As a student worker, I gained experience contributing to projects to assist to help my manager. A typical day at work consisted of organizing materials and handling duties including, making nametags, registration lists, alumni communications and marketing materials. I most enjoyed the events.
hated working here
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDAugust 12, 2019
CDL drivers get paid NOTHING!! they robbed every driver that worked there. UMD was hard to come to work everyday and work.....Hated it all the time...........
For working adult
Student Work-Study and Academic Projects (Current Employee) –  Largo, MDAugust 12, 2019
UMUC is the right place for working adults who want to further their education without any pressure. It is stressfree and the staffs there are excellent and encouraging.
great place to work
Engineering Tech III (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDAugust 11, 2019
when trying to advance really tuff but still a great place to work its not what you know but who you know. had a oppurtunity to stop working two jobs and had two interviews and still turned down and have been doing the job for 5-10 years. still pressing on waiting for a chance to advance
Really flexible
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Remote, ORAugust 7, 2019
Adjunct Professor hours can be done whenever works in your schedule. I would love to teach more courses but they keep you at 2 per term. I think this would be a good place to work full time.
It is a good place to learn new skills
PROGRAM MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 5, 2019
The best of the day is meeting new people and getting to know all the new subjects since this is an academic atmosphere. There is a lot of variety in your job.
Pros
a lot of perks
Cons
not a lot of feedback
Productive and rewarding work
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDAugust 1, 2019
I really enjoyed working with the students and the faculty at the University. There were faculty who felt that their needs were above everyone else, but there are guidelines to protect you and others from doing something outside of your job description.
Pros
Got to use the maker space for personal projects
Cons
a feel of a hierarchy with the faculty above everyone else
I enjoyed it
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJuly 18, 2019
I love working there I was always on time and got my job done. I just feel its not fair I wasn't able to come back because of my mom's mistakes and attitude.
Good office that lacked leadership
Report Manager (Former Employee) –  Adelphi, MDJuly 15, 2019
Overall with good leadership can be a good place to work. Challenging because databases were not kept up to standards. Management lacks direction of whether to compete with other private online schools.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Poor management and career advancement opportunity
Environnement de travail agréable
Adjoint (Current Employee) –  Maryland, USAJuly 8, 2019
Great place to work. Adjuncting can be tiresome, but this school is actually ethical and rewarding.
Pros
Okay adjunct pay
Cons
Only 2 courses per year
Good place to teach
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDJuly 6, 2019
Teaching Network and Security classes:
 Teach Implementing Cisco IP Routing(CCNP-ROUTE)
 Teach Network Security (Security+)
 Teach Interconnecting Cisco Devices(CCNA)
 Teach Fundamentals of Computer Troubleshooting(A+)
Classroom Teaching is Nonnegotiable
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Adelphi, MDJuly 2, 2019
I taught there when they still believed in the classroom and left when they went to all online courses. It was awhile ago so I don't know what they're doing now.
Diverse work environment
Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 1, 2019
I usually start my day at 9:00am, collaboratively plan my day, and make sure that the most urgent work gets done first. I would then run my reports to see if journal entries are needed for end of month closing. My project required me reconciling 10 years unreconciled grants. I would also incorporate reconciling in my daily work. I would also label and file all documents and file folders.
Pros
Discount on bus pass
Cons
Never has any problems.
Adjunct Professors are treated poorly
Associate Professor of Education (Former Employee) –  Adelphi, MDJune 23, 2019
University of Maryland University College reserves all benefits and salary increases to staff and administrators. While the university depends on the quality of its adjunct professors, they are paid very poorly. Also there are essentially no benefits and the per semester course contracts are below national averages and other University of Maryland universities. Adjuncts use their own computers and on-line internet subscriptions to teach. There is no process of reimbursement for depreciating equipment or expensive subscriptions to internet subscriptions.

There is also no policy for moving from adjunct to collegiate professor. It appears that promotions are dependent on who you know in the university administration. Keeping most of it professors as adjuncts allows UMUC to quickly replace long-time professors with fresh blood.

The University of Maryland, University College is exploiting its adjunct professors, but the State of Maryland provides little oversight of this "cash cow. UMUC is not led by an educator but an accountant which underscores the profit motive of the institution.

It has its own companies and significant pieces of real estate under its ownership. It is one of largest public universities in world with facilities in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia. UMUC assets are protected and do nothing for students, adjunct professors, or even the citizens of Maryland.
Good experience
Senior Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 23, 2019
Nice workplace and good opportunities. Decent training online and various online tools to help productivity. Supervisor gives frequent feedback and room to grow.
Flexible
Athletic Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDJune 21, 2019
I was a student athlete tutor. Got to meet some nice people. Everyone who worked there was nice and flexible. I can't speak to anyone in other roles but my experience was great
A joy to look forward to go to in the morning
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 19, 2019
I find in the Department of Payer Relations and Contract at University of Maryland hospital is a great place to work. I look forward to coming to work and participate with resolving issues for patients.
fun workplace
Event/Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJune 18, 2019
very demanding due to hours of work with a consistent change of scheduling and responsibilities due to my job position. The potential for promotion was no longer available however the majority of the staff were very reliable and professional.
Pros
supportive mentors, great exposure towards improving communications skills from undergrads to VIP
Cons
short breaks, low salary, poor management from departments

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Maryland University College. Our community is ready to answer.