WSP Employee Reviews

Lacks ability to retain staff
Civil Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 17, 2019
Started my career with Focus, which was a fantastic place to work.
As others have mentioned, culture, environment and especially recognition declined with the acquisitions by WSP.

There are still some quality people working here, but WSP will most certainly be hard pressed to retain them without a major culture shift.
awful place to work due to unpredictable pay and expense reimbursement
Inspector II (Current Employee) –  TX and FlSeptember 16, 2019
Not a good place to work expenses high and pay too low hardest part of the job passing 20 pre-tests for certification and then not being compensated well enough for the travel and expenses and training
Pros
Cons
plenty
low salary
QC TECH (Current Employee) –  JOHORAugust 15, 2019
all goods but have spoil on salary.I can do anything in any pressure but if company can not tolarate on sallary its usesless for me. So i hope i can get more than what i have now, because if people give more we should doing better.
buena corporacion
Inspector Técnico de Obras (Former Employee) –  Puerto Montt, Los LagosAugust 13, 2019
buen ambiente laboral, proyectos muy interesantes, buena empresa
Pros
seguro complementario
Productive Workplace
Building Sciences Consultant (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 5, 2019
Very casual environment. Seems like a good place to work. It's still small so lots of room to grow. For a start-up, they seem to have good potential, though. I met with the head of sales and we seemed to have a good conversation about the position and how I could be successful in the role.
Outdated & extremely inefficient systems and processes
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  AnonymousJuly 25, 2019
Inefficient processes and entirely too much administrative duties and paperwork required for PMs. Reasonable salary but expensive health insurance and terrible PTO policy.
Excelente
Gerente de Obra (Current Employee) –  Ciudad de MéxicoJuly 25, 2019
Muy buen lugar de trabajo, y consukltoria de ingenierias a nivel mundial
Supportive and productive environment
Corporate Human Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Guildford, SurreyJuly 10, 2019
The Company changed ownership many times during my employment. This gave me lots of opportunities for progression and make improvements.

I was made redundant after 24 years due to centralization of HR function.

I was always supported by my colleagues and management
Pros
Opportunities and ability to influence change
Cons
Growth of Company and offshoring of functions reduced opportunities
Fun Friendly Environment
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2019
Everyone was very welcoming and chatty, had a great time getting to know everyone.
Great place to work. Less than appealing diversity in leadership.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2019
WSP leadership allows employees to explore the best in them selves and the work life balance is the best I’ve seen. We are accountable for our work but not having to be chained to set hours.

Employees are given the opportunity to be their best, but are not given the opportunity to advance depending on a “diverse” range of characteristics. Which management surprisingly makes quite obvious.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Weak, Unsynchronized Leadership
exciting enviroment for learning and improving
vac work student (Current Employee) –  Bryanston, GautengJuly 4, 2019
a typical day is filled with design and looking at errors on site and managing to keep up with deadlines . to always be on peak brain levels think before implementation and consult always with colleges .
Pros
free coffee and advanced learning
Cons
extra hours
Outstanding work environment with great engineering challenges!
Hydrogeological Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 29, 2019
I spent 20 months of co-op in the Kitchener branch of the company. I progressed consistently towards a positive direction in my work ethic and technical expertise in the field of hydrogeology. My superiors and colleagues were accommodating and outstanding guides. Would recommend this company to anyone in this field of study.
Pros
Great work environment - clean, safe, fun, good balance
Cons
Long office hours, though are usually compensated by field work
WSP is great place to work
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Abu DhabiJune 21, 2019
I've learned a lot of things in WSP, i been realize the deference between contracting and consultant, WSP have there organized documentation, good team work. and good work environment
Pros
Thursday free breakfast
Cons
8 hours duty
Terrible corporate culture ignores staff and product quality
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 18, 2019
This is a company that sells technical expertise, but is severely and critically hobbled by a bloated and relatively uneducated corporate structure that doesn't understand what technical products they sell, and that sacrifices quality for weekly, monthly, and quarterly margins, and do not care about staff except for weekly percentages. Non-technical people with MBAs, limited licensees, and others with no technical background call the shots, and try to do engineering by proxy, often forcing the professionals into sticky situations and ethical dilemmas. Most egregious is when technical staff explain why something is not possible or comes with huge risk, yet managers will make a "business decision" to proceed, and put all responsibility back onto the professional...!

Many good coworkers can be found, but management destroys any pride in your work, as even managers will try to dictate technical reporting in order to please "important" clients. Anyone experienced in consulting at all will know that monstrous chargeabilities come at a cost, cannot be maintained except for very short periods, and that they ebb and flow with the market and economy... but apparently, nobody told corporate that! The result is horrible attrition of experienced technical staff (a must in a technical company), replaced by low-level and under-experienced newbies.

Money is decent, IF you push hard for it... but simply not worth it.

Avoid at all costs.
Pros
glizty brochures and websites
Cons
non-technical managers and corporate people, unreasonable chargeability expectations, horrible attrition of experienced staff
Communication is not strong
Employee (Current Employee) –  Federal Way, WAMay 28, 2019
Our company was acquired by WSP. I was open to the opportunities that could present themselves. However, when you pull back the curtain you realize that they have acquired several other companies and haven't finished integrating any of them. The communication has been terrible (unless you like listening to marketing jargon) and they don't seem to have much business experience with mergers and acquisitions. They would have been better off just acquiring our business, employees, and clients and just leaving us alone to continue making them money. Instead, our systems were removed and replaced with older archaic systems that were more difficult to use and led to loss of productivity. BTW please never use 1 + 1 = 3 when you acquire a company. Made me want to vomit.
Pros
Large Company and Possible Job Advancements
Cons
Communication, Lack of skills to adequately acquire and integrate new companies
A global company
Various IT positions (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 27, 2019
Working at WSP is a ongoing learning experience. A company that grows through acquisitions as dynamically as WSP will experience difficulties with procedures and policies. All areas of the organization struggle to keep up with the ongoing change which is inevitable.
Pros
Gain experience of working for a large corporation
Cons
Vague responsiblites due to accelerated company expansion
The needs of the employee are often overlooked
N/A (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 23, 2019
Dealing with a hostile and toxic co-worker can be difficult. Especially if most of the floor you work on agrees with that sentiment. Unfortunately, getting any action taken to discipline the individual proves to lay upon deaf ears. Decent pay, some good people.
Pros
Next to MBTA
Cons
employee entitlement
Productive and fun place to work
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COApril 15, 2019
Employees are great
Work environment is great
I have learned a lot at WSP
Management was good
Office locations are good
Company sponsored events are very good.
Pros
I have learned more at WSP than all other companies i worked for
Cons
i wasn't hired on FT as I was expecting
I previously worked with wsp in San Juan Puerto Rico As an inspector
Inspector (Former Employee) –  San Juan Puerto RicoApril 14, 2019
Working as an inspector for WSP was so good that she continues working for other companies as an inspector, adjuster and QA / QC. Take OSHA licenses of 10 and 30 under construction. Also take many other OSHA certifications in the construction area. I am also taking my Drones pilot license to do inspections. I am available and willing to work again for you.
Pros
They have the experience to help PR
Cons
Employment must be more durable
Light Supervision
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Puerto RicoApril 10, 2019
In this company there is no direct supervisor. You are provided with the skills necessary to do the job correctly. Should you have questions or an atypical situation there are guidelines and a help line. Thus leaving the employ to organize his own schedule and work load.
Pros
Work at own pace
Cons
Having to research for the best decision

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WSP. Our community is ready to answer.